Author Topic: A Hunk a Hunk a Burning Love!  (Read 12183 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
A Hunk a Hunk a Burning Love!
« on: March 28, 2016, 11:52:45 PM »
I found a smokin deal (pun intended) on a huge hunk of a brisket tonight!  It's just under 21lbs!  At $1.47/lb I couldn't pass it up!  Check this bad puppy out!

It's times like these I appreciate having a Model 3!

I'm debating separating the point and flat and just smoking the flat for now. Any opinions out there on flat vs whole packer? 
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

JackT

Re: A Hunk a Hunk a Burning Love!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 08:04:14 AM »
I found a smokin deal (pun intended) on a huge hunk of a brisket tonight!  It's just under 21lbs!  At $1.47/lb I couldn't pass it up!  Check this bad puppy out!

I'm debating separating the point and flat and just smoking the flat for now. Any opinions out there on flat vs whole packer?
Living in Southern Illinois makes finding cheap briskets impossible. Plenty of pork butts however:) Having lived in West Texas for 13 years, I certainly had my share of cheap briskets and didn't even know what a luxury it was until I moved to the St. Louis area (Illinois side). If I could find briskets for $1.47, I'd be loading up the freezer. Enjoy and Happy Smoking!
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D

Grampy

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 08:12:06 AM »

I always smoke the whole packer brisket. One big hunk of meat = less chance of drying out. You can always vacuum seal and freeze the point/flat after its cooked.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 10:03:59 AM »
Don't cut it, smoke it whole and freeze the leftovers.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 12:23:47 PM »
That monster is going to take some time. I agree with smoking the whole brisket and freeing the leftovers.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

JackT

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 12:27:57 PM »

Gotta agree with the others, smoke it whole. Decisions, decisions.......
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 05:42:59 PM »
Yeah, yeah, yeah... that's what I always do though!  I think I've only smoked 1 flat in my life and it turned out ok but I did think it was a little dry.  It was sometime last year but I don't remember any thing really bad about it.  But, at the same time, I remember thinking okay... I tried that... now back to regular programming..  I guess I'm wondering if there are any tricks out there to smoking a flat and making it as good as a whole packer?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 08:09:44 PM »
If you want to smoke a flat, I would buy a flat. Seems a shame to cut a full packer especially when you have a #3 that can fit without cutting.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 08:12:02 PM »
Don't cut it, smoke it whole and freeze the leftovers.

+1!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 08:39:53 PM »
I guess I'm wondering if there are any tricks out there to smoking a flat and making it as good as a whole packer?

Takes a little special attention to makeup for that lost fat from the point!  Brining and/or injecting are the norm, for flats.  When I do the big ones, like you have, they just get a coat of Morton Tenderquick for 6-8 hours (makes a really pretty faux smoke ring), then rinse/mustard/rub, and into the smoker!  No injection, and they come out great!  225, 7-8 oz of wood (hickory, oak, or mesquite) until 190 IT.  Mmm..Mmm!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

RG

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 07:48:49 AM »
When I do the big ones, like you have, they just get a coat of Morton Tenderquick for 6-8 hours (makes a really pretty faux smoke ring), then rinse/mustard/rub, and into the smoker!

WOW! Really? I only leave the TQ on mine for 15-20 minutes. I've read anything longer than that will alter the taste. I can only imagine how much of a faux ring it gives after 6-8 hours when I get this after 15 minutes :)

Jason from Conyers GA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 10:07:33 AM »
  I guess I'm wondering if there are any tricks out there to smoking a flat and making it as good as a whole packer?
Taking trimmed fat cap and putting on the other side of the brisket sure worked nicely on my last brisket smoke.  I will certainly repeat that process again to see if it was more than just luck. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 12:08:28 PM »
I have only done 2 briskest so far and both time I smoked fat cap down and trimmed fat on the top. Read about that method in the beef section. Cannot remember who suggested it. Seems to be a neat trick.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 06:55:25 PM »
Wow, that was a really big quote of 6-8 hours, Jason! :o Didn't mean to scare you!  Yes.  It gets me this.  Very thin dusting, wrapped in plastic.  Tasted great!  Little more pronounced than yours, but no change in taste.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 07:16:29 PM »
Isn't tenderquick the same as instant cure (pink)?
The Woodlands, Texas