Author Topic: 3D heat sensor questions  (Read 6279 times)

JackT

3D heat sensor questions
« on: January 28, 2016, 12:18:51 PM »
This past week, I smoked a dozen pork steaks on my new 3D. Even though they were thick pork steaks, my cook was planned to be 4 hours @ 225. Since there was no plan to measure meat temp, this was a set it and forget it smoke and 4 hours later, wallah! Fortunately, I did continue to keep an eye on the temp which was staying within a degree or two of 225 once it got up to temp. The heat-up time was about 50-55 minutes. No problems and all seemed well. About 2:30 into the cook, I glanced at the temp and it was way low. As I observed for a short while, the temp was all over the place while showing a solid green element on light. Not sure what to do, I unplugged and reset and reprogrammed the temp and remaining time. The temp continued to go crazy on me. At this point, I decided to look closer and opened the door where I had 3 top racks full of pork steaks and noticed that the temp probe/sensor was covered with drippings from one of the steaks above it and it was basically cooking on the probe. Once I saw that, I cleaned off the probe and positioned the meat so as to not drip on the probe again. Reset my temp and time and operation was flawless the rest of the way. After that experience, I was curious as to whether anyone else has had a similar experience. After all, we're all cooking meat and it's gonna drip! Thanks in advance for your input.

Jack
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: 3D heat sensor questions
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 12:23:37 PM »
Jack, most of us that have mounted our own permanent probe have done so at the top of the smoker and meat is never above the probe.  How far from the top is your probe?  Able to get all your racks under that? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

JackT

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 01:52:10 PM »
Hey SD, thanks for the reply. The heat sensor on the 3D is about 3/4 inch below the top rack. And yes, I could have positioned all the meat below the sensor, but was trying to keep all the meat at the highest position in the smoker. In my past experience, the higher the better the heat, but possibly with the insulation in the 3D that might not play as big a part. In the future I will certainly pay more attention to the heat sensor, but really didn't know until this experience that I needed to. There's plenty of space to work with, so hope not to have to worry going forward. Still curious as to whether this was an odd experience or whether drippings, etc. should be expected to cause an anomaly like that.
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
SI 3D

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 02:14:50 PM »
SI is really just releasing the 3D models and beyond Tony, a.k.a. Divot, there probably hasn't been a lot of beta testing.  The previous model, analog controller, had the probe shielded with some sheet metal but it was horizontal and tight to the smoker wall.  I think the result you had would be typical for that condition and something for Steve to consider changing in the next batch of 3D models.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 06:23:16 PM »
Hey Jack, that's one of the reasons I went from mounting the permanent probe 1" from the top of the smoker.  All future production models will be there, vs the current (first run) location.  This was actually a disconnect with the factory, and is now resolved.  It's not really a hard job, if you want to relocate your probe.  Check out the Auber Instructions page on how to install a permanent probe.  You would just fill the existing hole with a little high-temp silicone gasket sealant.

It's no big deal, if you leave it, now that you know to be aware of the placement, so you don't put drippy meat right over it.  I used my #2 in that position for a long time, before moving it.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 06:58:33 PM »
.... You would just fill the existing hole with a little high-temp silicone gasket sealant.
Or a short stainless bolt. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 07:00:33 PM »
That'll work too, Dave.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

JackT

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 09:35:35 AM »
For Tony- From your experience moving the heat sensor around, how much variance did you see in temp from bottom rack to top rack? Cooking on an electric smoker is new to me, as I've been using a Weber Smokey Mountain for years and always prefer top rack heat vs second shelf. Possibly the SI will provide more even heat as it is definitely well insulated. Planning to cook 4 racks of baby backs tomorrow and again will go for a simple time and temp cook. Next week however I'm planning on doing 4 large butts and I'm curious as to the evenness of the meat cooking from bottom to top. Would you put the meat sensor into a top or bottom butt? Or does it make much difference? The way the Auber pulses the heat might prove to be fairly even from bottom to top. Enlighten me:)
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
SI 3D

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 10:01:15 AM »
4 large butts likely means 2 racks?  Bottom rack will definitely block heat from the top rack.  Expect a couple hours difference in finishing times or rotate racks. 

JackT

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 11:37:02 AM »
Thanks SD, as that was the jist of my question about heat distribution. Once I get to smoke those butts, I'll check the internal temp of the top and bottom butts to compare for difference. My goal is to keep the door shut until my desired temp is met, but for a learning experience I'm going to check internal temps a couple of times and make note. At 225, I'm expecting a 14-16 hour smoke (190-195 meat temp). With a couple door openings/temp checks, I'll probably add another hour or so to the cook. These butts are all 9+ lbs, so it'll be a lotta meat and a happy ending for sure. First order of business though is baby backs tomorrow!
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
SI 3D

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 03:55:13 PM »
I think you are underestimating your time with that much meat mass in the smoker. I am guessing your will be looking at more of a 20+ hour long smoke. I normally smoke at 225 for one butt, but with two butts and especially with 4 I would bump the temp to 235-240. I start all of my butts around 11:00pm to 12:00am the night before for an evening meal. If they get done early depending on how early you can either drop the smoker temp to 140 when they hit 187-190 degrees (the residual heat with take the temp to 190+) or pull and double-foil wrap in a cooler with towels on top for up to a 4 hour rest.

Also, I would weigh your butts and put the larger butts on the lower rack.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 04:32:09 PM »
I a agree with Gregg, I smoked 24 lbs of pork butt, took 18+ hours at 225 to get to 190-193.

Carl
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

JackT

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 10:28:32 AM »
Appreciate everyone's input and will calculate accordingly. In the few opportunities that I've used the 3D, I've been impressed with its ability to hold its temp and keep it there. Since I'll be using the meat sensor for internal temp I'll know where I'm at along the way. Also, the internal temp of my bar fridge is 34 degrees, which is great for long-term cooking refreshments;)
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
SI 3D

JackT

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 01:12:09 PM »
This past Sat night thru Sunday afternoon, I smoked 2 pork butts, approx. 9lbs each. Cooked at 225 until 195. Have had no further issues with the heat sensor, and this was the first smoke using probe 2 for internal meat temperature. The butts came out OK, but possibly a little overdone. Fortunately, butts are very forgiving and my guests didn't even know there was an issue. That's just me wanting it to be perfect. Next time I cook butts, I'm going to increase cook temp to 235 or 240 and reduce internal meat temp to 190 or even 185. Since I wrap the butts in foil to rest, the internal temp will probably climb to 200 anyway, so it should give me a better result and a slightly shorter smoke time. Never in a hurry, but don't want to overcook either. Happy smoking to all.
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
SI 3D

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 07:59:41 PM »
Jack, I've played with final butt temps several times, and 185-190 works great!  Pretty much as soon as it gets through the stall, and the temp starts climbing again, most of the cooking is done.  I find 195 and higher makes them dry-out too much, for me, and prefer the juicier meat, with a little firmness to it, that I get by not passing 190.  Never had a bone not pull clean, at those temps, either!
Tony from NW Arkansas