Author Topic: Thermoworks Bluetherm Duo  (Read 5969 times)

va_rider

Thermoworks Bluetherm Duo
« on: July 31, 2015, 03:43:23 PM »
Got the new unit last night, and for now, have just played with it a little bit.

Right out of the box, the build quality is fantastic. I feel like I can throw it down the stairs and not have to worry about it.

Interface wise, you HAVE to have it hooked up to something bluetooth to use it. You can't set temperatures for alarms or anything else without it. It essentially has an on/off button, a button for the light, and a charging port. I suppose it will tell you temperatures on each probe without a BT connection, but if that's all you want, there are a myriad of different options.

Plugging in the probes, they also have an amazing build quality. While waiting for this thing, I looked through the full line that ThermoWorks offers, and was super impressed. They sell probes for medical and scientific applications that are accurate to .006 degrees or better. They sell probes to take the internal temperature of insects. They know what they're doing with these things, and it shows. Turning the device on at first in the house, with the probes sitting on the table, one was reading 71.3, the other was also 71.3. Taking the device outside and setting the probes on top of the cover of the #2 with black cover on, readings were 103.2 and 102.9. That's accurate enough for me. My last smoke with the Maverick, I was getting a difference of up to 60 degrees between probes.

The interface/software - This is where things could be better. The app is very simple, but does have some nice temperature graphing built in. You adjust all of the settings from the app as far as high/low temp alarms, and can save these as different profiles. For instance, you can have a chicken profile, a brisket profile, a pork butt profile, a salmon profile, etc. Makes it very handy as you don't have to set high/low points every time you change what you're cooking, you can just load the profile and be good to go.

Bluetooth. UGH. This is the downfall. My smoker is on my side porch outside of my kitchen. With the door closed, I can get about 15' to the couch before it loses signal. I am thinking that the probes are long enough though, that I can bring the device inside, which should increase my range inside the house significantly. I've also been researching bluetooth repeaters.

Another cool feature is that if your PC has Bluetooth capability, you can download an application from Thermoworks that is much more full featured than the mobile app.

Pros:
Accuracy Accuracy Accuracy.
Build Quality is amazing.

Cons:
Expensive (probes are separate, and $50 each, on top of the $199 purchase price)
Bluetooth isn't a good way to do this. I'm going to look for other solutions through either a high powered BlueTooth Repeater or something else.

That's it for now, I'll report back after the first smoke!
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Thermoworks Bluetherm Duo
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 04:51:31 PM »
Aaron,

Until you told me about the distance of the Bluetooth, I was ready to pull the plug and order!

Also for that price, I would try Tech Support and maybe there are some things you can do to increase the range.

Keep us updated.

Greg

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 05:29:34 PM »
Cons:
Expensive (probes are separate, and $50 each, on top of the $199 purchase price)

Auber has reasonably priced K-Type probes.
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=20_3
~Martin

va_rider

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 07:02:07 PM »
Aaron,

Until you told me about the distance of the Bluetooth, I was ready to pull the plug and order!

Also for that price, I would try Tech Support and maybe there are some things you can do to increase the range.

Keep us updated.

Greg

I think that any of the BlueTooth devices will suffer from the same issues. Some folks rave about the iGrill, but it's using the same BT radios.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

va_rider

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 07:12:27 AM »
Put on a brisket at 11 last night...  Into the stall this morning... Look at the high temp vs current temp.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 06:03:43 PM »
Good review.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

va_rider

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 07:26:44 PM »
Results were good...  If I can figure out how to plot the csv's into charts, I'll have to share the cooking specifics.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 07:53:48 PM »
Looks like a great smoke and meal!

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 08:39:59 PM »
The brisket looks great, Aaron!  How about adding some pics to your product review?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

va_rider

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 10:34:41 AM »
No problem Tony! What kind of pictures are you looking for? Just of the device and the probes? I can snap a few of those when I get home... for more screenshots of the plotted charts and whatnot, I'll have to wait until the next smoke.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 06:55:52 PM »
That'd be great, Aaron!  I think it would be nice to see some shots of the actual unit, maybe how it looks hooked up (for size comparison), and shots of the remote screens would be awesome!  Just think of all the pics you would have liked to have seen before you ordered it.  We love pics! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

va_rider

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 04:04:53 PM »
Adding some photos..  You can see how I set it up at my house to have the unit indoors... With the unit indoors the Bluetooth is good for the majority of my first floor.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 05:15:35 PM by va_rider »
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2