Author Topic: Vacuum Sealer Bags  (Read 7312 times)

Limey

Vacuum Sealer Bags
« on: July 02, 2015, 11:08:04 AM »
Does anyone have any recommendations on vacuum sealer bags, particularly where to get the best pricing on high quality bags. I've found the pricing and the quality to be all over the place. Also does anyone reuse their bags and if so how do you clean them? Thanks.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Vacuum Sealer Bags
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 12:26:40 PM »
Roger,

I buy my bags off of Amazon. Normally I just buy the Weston 11x16" bags.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BAE0A4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

But I wanted to freeze a brisket and need something larger so I bought two rolls Vac-Fresh Rolls Embossed 4mil Vacuum Sealer Bags. I have not tried them, but will keep you posted here is a link for those bags.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052BOEXG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Greg

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 05:07:22 PM »
This seller on ebay has a good variety, good price.  They seem to work for me, I'm still a novice vacuum sealer though

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251724681116?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 12:47:39 PM »
I've purchased ARY brand bags from the webstaurantstore

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ary-vacmaster-946220-8-x-12-full-mesh-quart-size-external-vacuum-packaging-bags-3-mil-100-box/120VBM946220.html

You do pay for shipping, but the price is pretty reasonable.

They carry many different sizes and also the 50 foot rolls.
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 01:11:07 PM »
Bruce,

The price and the quality looks good, I have booked marked the page, so I can order when I run low.

Thanks Greg

TheLocNar

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 04:59:47 PM »
I use the bags from Lisa at Vacuum Sealers Unlimited. She's a member on the other smoker forum and often gives out discount codes. The 3 mil bags have worked great for me with my VacMaster VP210. :)
PBC
SI #2
Chicagoish

Eds smoking

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 07:24:36 PM »
I get my vac bags from " Film Tech" www.filmtechcorp.com   888-844-3800. I found this company 6 years ago at the sportsman show in Cleveland. 100 gal. bags were 20.00  100 quart bags were 18.00 last June. Not sure what the cost is now.  The quality and service great. I take a case up to fish camp for friends and they love them.  I will be getting more in june for fishing. Hope this helps.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 11:15:03 PM »
I recently got some bags from www.vacuumsealersunlimited.com. The prices are comparable and the shipping isn't too bad unless you buy in small amounts.

I got some regular bags as well as some zippered bags. I think I will like the zippered bags for when I package smoked cheese, jerky, and snack sticks.

http://shop.vacuumsealersunlimited.com/Zipper-Vacuum-Sealer-Bags_c59.htm
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

coachB

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 12:51:48 AM »
Gregg, the only problem with those zipper bags are they are only one-use vacuum sealers.  Once the zipper is opened there is no way to reseal airtight.  When I ordered them I thought they were the type with the ability to remove air each time something was removed from the bag.  No such luck.  I got some Food Savor zipper bags that allow that, but found they frequently let air in.  The search goes on as reliable zipper vacuum bags have a lot of appeal.  Her other bags have proven to be top shelf and her customer service is very good.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 12:59:29 AM »
I only expect/need them to be one use. After I open a pack of jerky/cheese, I don't really need it to be totally air tight as the food will be eaten in a relatively short time. It they work as well as a Ziploc, that will be all I ask of them. So, hopefully they will work for my purpose.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

coachB

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 11:16:51 AM »
Gregg, for that purpose these ziplocs, like all her products, work just fine.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 12:55:12 PM »
I have been using the same food saver for a couple of decades and using their branded bags. Are some bags better than othersand will they work with the food saver?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »
The main reason is that the bags are a little bit cheaper and as good if not better quality. Plus, for my last order I wanted to get some of the zipper bags that have a tear off strip and a zipper that can be used for short-term storage after you tear the strip off.

I have no problems at all with the Food Saver bags.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 07:49:56 PM »
I have always used the FoodSaver bag rolls, so I can cut my own lengths.  However, I've noticed lately that their quality control has gone down.  Many of the rolls have wrinkles in the bags, at about a 45° angle across the bags.  Usually not a problem, but I've had it effect sealing.  I'm considering trying something new.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 10:36:43 PM »
Try ebay or amazon prime for bags, lots to pick from.   
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA