Author Topic: Alternative to ET-733?  (Read 21358 times)

Elliottbte

Re: Alternative to ET-733?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 09:35:37 AM »
I replaced my 733 probes with these:

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-3-Foot-Waterproof-Bluetooth-Thermometer/dp/B00WGUFITK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435097625&sr=8-1&keywords=maverick+et-735+probes

• Water-Proof, Weather Resistant highly rated probe
• 3-Foot Long Stainless Steel Braided Cord with a Stainless Steel Probe
• Can be used as a food, smoker, oven or Pit probe
• High Temperature Rated - Up to 716 degrees F (380 degrees C)

They are way better quality than the ones that come with the 733. I have only used them a couple of times, but I think they will hold up better based on the looks of them.

Thanks for this.  I don't see on Amazon, or the Maverick site, that these are interchangeable with 733 probes.  It seems they are working for you and they have to be an improvement and certainly better than me globbing RTV on the 733 probes.  Where did you learn that they would work on 733?
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 01:03:23 PM »
Brad maybe someone could check with Maverick to see if they are interchangeable or will work in the et-733 or et-732. I have my probes sealed so I do not foresee a problem with them.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Carp210

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 01:17:14 PM »
I replaced my 733 probes with these:

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-3-Foot-Waterproof-Bluetooth-Thermometer/dp/B00WGUFITK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435097625&sr=8-1&keywords=maverick+et-735+probes

• Water-Proof, Weather Resistant highly rated probe
• 3-Foot Long Stainless Steel Braided Cord with a Stainless Steel Probe
• Can be used as a food, smoker, oven or Pit probe
• High Temperature Rated - Up to 716 degrees F (380 degrees C)

They are way better quality than the ones that come with the 733. I have only used them a couple of times, but I think they will hold up better based on the looks of them.

Thanks for this.  I don't see on Amazon, or the Maverick site, that these are interchangeable with 733 probes.  It seems they are working for you and they have to be an improvement and certainly better than me globbing RTV on the 733 probes.  Where did you learn that they would work on 733?

This is from the Amazinproducts.com

Maverick ET-735 & 3' Replacement Probe
These probes will also work in the ET-732 and ET-733
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 01:36:54 PM »
I just talked with customer service at Maverick and there seems to be some confusion. Yes the probe will work on all three models, 732/733/735. But the customer service rep said that the 3' is not waterproof, but a Hybrid. But that really does not make sense since they claim the 735 comes with two waterproof probes....

Anyways, I have one coming tomorrow.

Here is a link to their site
http://www.maverickhousewares.com/parts/pr-014-br-food-probe-3ft-br-fits-et-735

They make a 6' probe item number PR-022
WATERPROOF HYBRID PROBE (6FT)
FITS: ET-732/733/735
from 25.00
Not to be used in temps above 700°F.

The one on Amazon is a 3' probe
Maverick 3-Foot Waterproof Hybrid Probe for the ET-735 Bluetooth Thermometer - Replacement / Spare Food and Smoker Probe
http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-3-Foot-Waterproof-Bluetooth-Thermometer/dp/B00WGUFITK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435167170&sr=8-1&keywords=Maverick+Waterproof+Hybrid+Probe

Greg

elkins20

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 02:20:37 PM »
Actually from their (Maverick's standpoint) this makes sense as they are in it to sell new et-735 and probably not so much the probes.. From the pictures they look pretty sealed to me. JMO
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 02:22:11 PM »
Actually from their (Maverick's standpoint) this makes sense as they are in it to sell new et-735 and probably not so much the probes.. From the pictures they look pretty sealed to me. JMO

The six foot probes look different.

Greg

elkins20

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 02:42:11 PM »
Hey Greg this is the one that I purchased at the K.C.BBQ store, if you notice the very end has a black piece of plastic where the wire goes into the probe. I still sealed it with gasket maker. I went a 1/4 inch from where the wire enters the probe both ways. So I have about 1/2 inch seal on it. But, it did look different than the original probes.

Elliottbte

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 03:52:32 PM »
I think I like the shape of the waterproof PR-022 probe.  It's curved towards the end of the probe where the wire enters, giving a bit of a "handle" to help place/remove the probe.  I think it would put less stress on the probe/wire connection on top of whatever waterproofing is done.  I don't need 6' of wire length but better long than short I guess.  Decisions, decisions .....
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

elkins20

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 05:11:34 PM »
Just talked with the permatex tech. support and he said none of their products are food safe. I explained that would be using on a food probe where the wire goes into the probe. He said would probably be safe but he could not condone it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 01:07:24 AM by elkins20 »

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 05:15:29 PM »
I found the 6' probe at yardandpool for $20.00 with free shipping. I will wait until I receive my probe from Amazon, but may send it back and get the 6' probe

http://www.yardandpool.com/maverick-et-733-et-732-et-735-waterproof-hybrid-probe-6

Greg

elkins20

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 06:06:04 PM »
That might be different Greg as the 6' probe I purchased was pr-001. But, it looked to be sealed with some a piece of black plastic where the wire enters the probe.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 10:13:58 PM »
Not a bad looking probe, Greg!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Elliottbte

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2015, 03:42:24 PM »
Just talked with the permatex tech. support and he said none of their products are food safe. I explained that would be using on a food probe where the wire goes into the probe. He said would probably be safe but he could not condone it.

Wow, I got the exact opposite answer when I called them 3 months ago.  and I just looked at the internet and found this ...

For my application (Smoker), I contacted permatex and this was there response... The response included a phone number, and I feel that if anyone has questions for themselves the best option is to directly contact them with your specific application.

Many Thanks for your interest in Permatex products
Permatex has a High Temp. RED RTV Silicone Gasket Maker and is safe to
use around food products .It is certified
NSF/ANSI STANDARD 51 Food Equipment Materials ...( indirectly around
food )Temp. max. is 600 F continuous and 650 F intermittently ... The
Ultra Copper is not NSF
If you have further questions feel free to call Tech. Service at
toll-free @ 877.376-2839)

I think the key is NSF/ANSI 51 Food Equipment Materials (Indirectly around food).  In other words, don't injest the permatex directly.  So the exact application will make the determination.  For me, it's safe on the probe where I use it.  It's a personal call though.
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2015, 11:33:07 PM »
Time for an "intervention!"  You all are making way too much out of the "food grade" issue for a tiny dab of silicone at the probe end, where it meets the wire.  This should never be in contact with the meat, so what's the worry?  And, it's such a minimal amount, it probably wouldn't kill you if it did accidentally touch the meat.  Just use any high-temp silicone, and get onto smoking something!  We face bigger hazards eating at any fast food joint, or regular restaurant, every time we eat there!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Carp210

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2015, 09:36:35 AM »
I found the 6' probe at yardandpool for $20.00 with free shipping. I will wait until I receive my probe from Amazon, but may send it back and get the 6' probe

http://www.yardandpool.com/maverick-et-733-et-732-et-735-waterproof-hybrid-probe-6

Greg

Did you ever get the probe from Amazon?  If you did could you post a close up photo of the back where the wire goes into the probe.
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.