Author Topic: Try it you'll like it  (Read 13712 times)

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: Try it you'll like it
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 05:13:44 PM »
Hey Dale, Picked up the pecan rub and it is pretty good on a spoon. But, the cherry chipotle rub is almost like eating candy. I wanted to go after it with a spoon. Each bottle was $9.00 cannot beat that. On problem on the way back got into a traffic jam as a small car decided to tangle with a semi. But, was pretty good day for a ride.. Thanks again and this beats the TexasBBQrub.com original rub. Also is better than Daves famious rib rub...IMO. I did use the pecan rub on the chuck roast that will go into the smoker early in the morning.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

drains

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 09:17:43 PM »
need to order some more of the pecan rub so I'll be sure and add the cherry chipotle to my list. I have never tried famous daves rub so that's another one to look forward to. Let us know how the pecan rub tastes on the roast. I'll be cooking all day tomorrow, brisket  and spare ribs. Have a great weekend and thanks for the heads up on the cherry chipotle!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

elkins20

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2015, 09:29:51 PM »
Your very welcome, and thank-you for putting me onto the pecan rub. I also did a batch of beans to put in the smoker with the roast. I added the cherry rub to them and after mixing it up tasted the juice. Darn near started eating them at that point. If you want I can tell you how I do my beans. I start with Bush's Grillin Beans the Steakhouse Recipe and add some other stuff. You too have a wonderful weekend.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

elkins20

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2015, 10:36:41 PM »
Hey Dale to be quite honest with you. I M O, I think John Henry's rubs are a whole lot better than famous Dave's rib rub. One of the other members here really likes it. But, after tasting the John Henry rubs will not bother getting the FDRR. John Henry also as a brisket rub that I might try down the road. But for now will stick with these two.

drains

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2015, 10:43:03 PM »
Thanks Bill and by all means share your bean recipe, I'd like to give it a try. Keep on smokin!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Grampy

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2015, 10:58:01 PM »
Bill, thanks for the info on the Chipotle Cherry rub. I'm going to try the Pecan on some baby backs this weekend.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

drains

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2015, 10:59:48 PM »
Dale, The pecan rub definitely passes the finger test. The sweet hits you as soon as you taste it then the warm pepper flavor hits you on the back end. I'm a little concerned with it possibly clumping up because it seems to have a lot of sugar in it. I like the taste of it by itself and think it will taste great on some baby backs.

Yea sugar is listed first and third in the ingredients so clumping is certainly a possibility. I have to shake mine a bit before using it. But, in my case anyway, its just not going to stay in the bottle long enough for clumping to be a problem. I was putting it on popcorn earlier! It was delicious. I'm really looking forward to your taste test on those baby backs you mentioned. Keep on smokin!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

elkins20

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2015, 12:15:14 AM »
Ok Dale here goes:
I use 1 can of beans but you can do two, I normally use the bush's grillin beans the steakhouse recipe or the smokehouse recipe. To that add 2 tbls pecan or cherry rub (John Henry's), 2 tbls favorite BBQ sauce, 2 tbls Paces med. salsa or what you have on hand, 1 or 2* t garlic powder, 1 or 2* t onion powder, stir it up. Cook at 250 degrees in kitchen oven about 2 hours or smoke in the smoker for about 4 hours pull it out. When the brisket is finished take 3 or 4 slices and dice them up and add to the beans. Or can cook 4 slices of thick bacon just until they start to brown. Take out of the grease pat dry cut in small pieces about 1 or 2 inches long and dot the top of the beans. Taste the sauce and adjust seasonings to your taste.. I got this from my cousin he puts in smoked pork tenderloin that he chops up. Any smoked meat will do.
*Use 1 if using one can of beans and 2 if using two cans of beans

drains

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2015, 02:35:00 AM »
Thanks Bill! I'll be using your recipe in the very near future, I'll bet there won't be any leftovers. Keep smokin!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Grampy

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 11:51:23 AM »
I'm a little late getting back to this thread but I've been busy at work. I smoked 3 racks of baby backs on Fathers Day and used John Henry's Pecan Rub. The ribs turned out great and everybody loved them but I was disappointed with the Pecan Rub. It tasted great by itself and the ribs were good but it was not what I was expecting from the rub. Everyone has their own tastes and opinions and I'm glad I tried it but I probably won't use it again. My next rub to try is going to be one Bill has suggested from Oakridge BBQ. I just received some Secret Weapon for pork and chicken today.
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

elkins20

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 11:59:25 AM »
Would be interested in what you think about the secret weapon.

Grampy

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 01:54:42 PM »
Would be interested in what you think about the secret weapon.

Bill, I've seen you post that you like the Oakridge BBQ rubs. Is the Secret Weapon one that you have tried? Also, what is your favorite?
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

elkins20

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 02:32:09 PM »
Sorry but have not tried the Oakridge rubs. I don't remember posting about them. The ones I do remember commenting on was: Gates original rub, Famous Dave's rib rub, John Henry's Pecan rub and John Henry's Wild Cherry Chipotle rub and the Original Texas BBQ rub. I did look up the Oakridge BBQ site and is in Kearney Mo. which is close to Kansas City. I might be mistaken and that is highly possible as the brain isn't what it used to be. Sorry

Grampy

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 02:46:06 PM »
Sorry but have not tried the Oakridge rubs. I don't remember posting about them. The ones I do remember commenting on was: Gates original rub, Famous Dave's rib rub, John Henry's Pecan rub and John Henry's Wild Cherry Chipotle rub and the Original Texas BBQ rub. I did look up the Oakridge BBQ site and is in Kearney Mo. which is close to Kansas City. I might be mistaken and that is highly possible as the brain isn't what it used to be. Sorry

Bill, you are correct it is my mistake. It was John from PA that posted about Oakridge rubs. My apologies.
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

elkins20

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 03:43:50 PM »

Bill, you are correct it is my mistake. It was John from PA that posted about Oakridge rubs. My apologies.
Hey Jimmy not a problem, right now I have ribs in the fridge, getting happy I used the cherry/chipotle rub on them. Also had a really rough time removing the membrane from the back of the ribs. But, that is for dinner tomorrow night. Still let me know what you think of the secret rub