Author Topic: Smoked Blooming Bologna  (Read 12855 times)

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Smoked Blooming Bologna
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 10:23:34 PM »
I grew up on this stuff.  Usually enough up this way its sold at discount stores!  Its a unique taste if you aren't from the area. 

Its sandwich bologna in my opine.  Toasted bread, mustard, mayo, farmers cheese, pickled peppers and olives.

I'd prefer Kutztown or Berks Ring bologna if you want to put in the SI.

The Seltzer has an odd "marble" texture that might not work as a triple smoke.   But still good eats.

Seltzer might have a youtube video of the factory and hows its all made.  There was a TV special about them few years back.

Goes great with Yuengling Porter Beer!  Another local.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

1stlink

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 04:02:56 AM »
 Tony there has been a consolidation of the Lebanon baloney manufacturers and seltzers bought out Bombergers which is my  personal  preference.   Fortunately for us seltzers allows customers to choose the Bomberger's brand. We also prefer the sweet bologna but that's a personal choice. The original Bomberger's plant is still operating in Lebanon.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 04:07:10 AM by Ralph »

1stlink

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 04:23:12 AM »
 Whoops I missed John's  post above.  We are talking about two entirely different products. Lebanon bologna and Ring bologna are worlds apart in taste and manufacturing process.

I agree with John when he says that Kutztown and Berks are excellent choices in Ring bologna which would probably  be good candidates for smoking in the SI

My opinion is that the Lebanon bologna has no room for improvement by smoking in the SI.

PS, my wife was born and raised in Lebanon and we lived in the area for many many years.  It might sound crazy but our sandwich of preference would be Lebanon bologna, potato chips and mustard   Between two slices of bread. Lol  8)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 04:28:36 AM by Ralph »

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 06:56:30 AM »
It looks like both Kutztown and Berks are not something you can find in Florida. I will have to look for them when I travel.

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 10:02:27 AM »
I also grew up with Lebanon baloney and call it summer sausage wide enough to cover a piece of bread.  I love that stuff.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

1stlink

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2015, 12:25:59 PM »
If you read the history you will see that indeed it is a form of Summer Sausage. Kinda neat story how the early German settlers made bologna.

From Seltzer web site: "The Seltzer family acquired the Bomberger Lebanon recipe back in 1960’s and has been preparing it in the Seltzer’s traditional smokehouses ever since. The Regular Lebanon has a wonderful tangy flavor made with all lean beef and spices. The Sweet has delicious old fashioned sweetness from the added brown sugar. It is a delicious flavor that many Pennsylvania Berks County residents love and now get to share with the extended distribution of the Seltzer family.  STOCK UP NOW - ONLY AVAILABLE WHILE SUPPLIES LAST! !"

My usual purchase: http://shop.seltzerslebanon.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=415B   Now listed as inactive, I have emailed them about product availability.

Note: Not everyone likes the Sweet as much as the Regular and visa versa. I prefer the Sweet for snacking w/crackers & cheese and would rather have regular in a sandwich..   8)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 12:38:07 PM by Ralph »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2015, 10:02:44 PM »
Man, you guys have really broadened my horizons with this thread!  I had NO idea there were all these different varieties of bologna!  Thanks for the education! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2015, 10:09:38 PM »
Wow by watching TV I would have only thought there was one, Oscar Mayer bologna.

You all remember the song..... :)

My Bologna has a first name,
It's O-S-C-A-R.
My bologna has a second name,
It's M-A-Y-E-R.
Oh I love to eat it everyday,
And if you ask me why say,
Cause' Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A!!!!

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 10:16:28 PM »
This stuff sure looks better than anything Oscar ever made! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2015, 10:19:27 PM »
This stuff sure looks better than anything Oscar ever made! ;)

I agree, we used the smoked boloney tonight for a blind BBQ sauce taste tonight and it worked out great. I will be making this again just for some sandwiches.

Greg

pargolfr2003

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2015, 05:58:01 AM »
I make this about once a month and posted pics of it previously. Takes bologna to a whole new level. Slice off a piece about 1/4" thick, grill it up for a couple minutes to brown it a little, melt a slice of provolone on it then put it on a sandwich with creamy horseradish sauce and a slice of tomato and you've pretty much got yourself 5 minutes of heaven. Good job on this one Greg. It looks fantastic!
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle
LOTS of cold beer and/or wine

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2015, 05:49:51 PM »
Boar's Head is good stuff - very pricey, but also very good quality.  I spring for it when I feel extravagant!
We have a plant here in Holland .
[I[I .............

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2015, 09:54:54 PM »
Okay, I'm waiting for someone to smoke an olive loaf.  LOL! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah