Author Topic: Larger-capacity drip pan  (Read 4120 times)

Boilerplate

Larger-capacity drip pan
« on: April 20, 2015, 03:38:37 PM »
On my first smoke, I was alarmed to have the drip pan fill nearly full before I was even done smoking two pork shoulders and three racks of ribs.

The standard drip pan (on my #3, I presume the others are the same) is a standard "half pan" (about 10.5" x 12.5").  Those standard pans are used in food service steam tables.  Frankly, the original pan is rather flimsy, but its shallowness (only 1-3/4" deep) is the problem, making it easy to slosh over the edge when emptying.

Thankfully, one can easily find replacements, cheap. 

There is 7" of height under the smoker for a deeper pan, and I'm satisfied with a 4" deep pan (7-quart) commercial pan I got for $15 including shipping on Amazon.  Search "half steam table pan" or visit http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OJHXG2.  I believe that the heavier weight should also make it a little more stable in position. 

That model is 24 gauge, and you can get thicker ones you can park your truck on if you really care ("Vollrath Super Pan") for more than double the price.

You can also try a 6" deep pan (11 qt), but I think that going from a shallow 1-3/4" pan to a 4" pan is more than enough.

I would encourage Smokin-It to include this upgraded pan as standard equipment, so that the drip pan was up to the quality standard of the smoker.

If I were in charge, I'd put a little rib or bump on the pan support rails to discourage the pan from sliding out without giving it a little lift.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Larger-capacity drip pan
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 04:04:51 PM »
If I were in charge, I'd put a little rib or bump on the pan support rails to discourage the pan from sliding out without giving it a little lift.

Good idea, a larger pan as original equipment would be a good idea also.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

mizzoufan

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 04:52:00 PM »
While I agree that larger would be nice, I believe it was done that way for those of us who don't use the wheels.  Mine sits on a steel cart so the original drip pan fits under it with very little room to spare.  Maybe offer one or the other as an add on (or a choice) depending on how you plan on using the smoker.
Steven from KCMO

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 09:52:00 PM »
Hi boilerplate!  I see this is your first post, and a really good one!  The idea of a deeper pan has been kicked around a bit.  Steven has a point, too - those of us that don't use the wheels (cart mount) are limited on height.  I've also mentioned the idea of a leg extension kit, to allow for a deeper pan, for those who don't use wheels.  I'll re-visit this with Steve.

Now that you are with us, head over to the "Introductions" section and tell us a little about yourself (BBQ background, and such).  Also, a first name and town, in your signature line, is a nice touch!

Keep those great ideas coming!  Believe me, we're looking at all sorts of things, but some are slow to come about.  Any change is much more involved than most realize, when dealing with factory production!  Thanks for your input, though!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Rhino55

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 09:30:01 PM »
Hi guys!  I ran into the same problem, and realized from the measurements that that the pan for the 1, 2 and 3 size smokers was very close to the standard, restaurant-size pans (I have a #3 Smoker).  I got a pan from Amazon as well, for maybe a $1 more than Boilerplate paid.  I actually came here to post about it, but found this older thread already, so thought I would just add to it;-)

The one from Smokin-It is very good quality- probably better and slightly thicker than the 24 gauge pans Boilerplate and I have purchased, but it should be good enough as a drip pan.  Mine was 4" deep as well, so will hold almost 3 times as much.  A 6" deep pan would over-kill, and maybe unwieldy at that size.  This pan is about the same width over-all, with the lip a littler narrower, and is about an inch longer than the pan Smokin-It ships.  This causes it to poke out about an inch or so in front, but is not in the way all- I fact, now I can see how full it is getting!  I would highly recommend getting one for those larger, fatty smokes.

Rhino55

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 09:31:48 PM »
Oh- here is a picture of the standard Smokin-It pan, and my new 4" pan: 

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 12:03:37 AM »
Great idea for when you really load up the smoker with meat.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

mocass

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 06:52:53 PM »
Excellent info., picture really shows the difference and is a definite need in my book, off to order my pan now, tks to all..
Maury
Maury
P,cola Fl.
Virgin Islands Massive!!
US Army Sgt. 1984-92
CS SM025 Black n Stainless/SI 3D Wifi/ InsatpotDuo/Elite Stainless Grill

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 07:22:59 AM »
I believe it was done that way for those of us who don't use the wheels.  Mine sits on a steel cart so the original drip pan fits under it with very little room to spare.

They could include the smaller pan with the cart, though that may really feel like a concession once you're used to the large pan.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 07:51:31 AM »
I have my #3 on wheels, but I have multiple pans.  I just swap them out, in the rare occasion that one is filling up (just doesn't happen that much to me).
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

EFGM

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 01:00:56 PM »
A possible solution would be the use of Bed/Furniture Risers. They certainly would hold the weight and give enough rise very economically to use a deeper pan without the casters. Available from Amazon.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 06:28:50 PM »
Rhino55 where did you get that little table and do you know who makes it?
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud