Author Topic: Brined Pork Tenderloin with Apricot Chutney Sauce  (Read 15325 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Brined Pork Tenderloin with Apricot Chutney Sauce
« on: April 19, 2015, 05:39:44 PM »
Picked up a 2-pack of tenderloins at Sam's (4 total, as tenderloins are usually packed in twos).  I decided to brine these in my pork loin brine, use maple syrup as the binder (I saw Jeff Phillips do this, and it sounded good), and Famous Dave's Rib Rub.

The tenderloins got 4 hours in the brine (plenty, for as small of a diameter they are).  After the brine, they were rinsed thoroughly, and patted dry.  Then, I brushed on 100% maple syrup and hit them with Dave's Rib Rub.  In the smoker, at 230 with a pan of apple juice.

I was really expecting 1.5-2 hours, but these hit 145 in an hour.  I finished them, with a reverse-sear, on the old Weber gasser.  Tough to get it really hot today - nice and windy. 

The apricot chutney is a bottle of Smucker's Simply Fruit apricot spread, and my St Louis BBQ sauce.  I simmered this in a pan for awhile, until hot and thoroughly mixed, then set in the fridge to cool.

The tenderloins came off the grill and straight into foil!  While they were resting, we prepared the salads.

The meat turned out very juicy, and extremely fork-tender (they were tenderloins).  Combined with the apricot chutney, I hit a home run with the family!  I just need to get it to not cook so fast! ;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 05:41:47 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

Re: Brined Pork Tenderloin with Apricot Chutney Sauce
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 07:32:17 PM »
Those look perfect Tony. Did the meat taste real sweet? My experience has been that very soft meat like tenderloins cook quickly. I now back off and cook them at 200. However, it didn't seem to make a difference by the looks of it.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

1stlink

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 09:01:01 AM »
Finger looking good   :D

Condo rules.. No reverse sear allowed here   >:(

Walt

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 10:13:09 AM »
You can reverse sear in your oven @ 500+ degrees for about 5 minutes.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 10:30:06 AM »
Nice work, Tony!   When I do tenderloins they typically finish in under an hour at 225F.  The next time I do some, I am going to drop the temp to maybe 210F or so just to give them a bit more time in the smoke.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

1stlink

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 06:22:12 PM »
You can reverse sear in your oven @ 500+ degrees for about 5 minutes.
Thanks Walt, I'm learning all the time..  :)

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 08:33:52 PM »
Thanks for the comments, guys!  They actually tasted very good, and were very moist.  I didn't get the finish I was hoping for (this is actually my first time with tenderloins, so it was a learning process!) because the grill wasn't hot enough.  I should have opted for the hot oven, but had already committed to the grill, and the clock was ticking!  Like I said - first time!  I usually do whole loins, and have them down to a science, but these little boogers fooled me!

Next time - smoke at 200, and make sure the gill's nice and hot!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Barrel99

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 11:38:28 PM »
Even if I under cook meat or chicken, I find that whenever I reverse sear in the grill or in the oven, that it's always a game to see if I can sear them up before over cooking. Sometimes I lose.

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 08:27:19 AM »
The loins and the salad looks great. I have 2lbs in the freezer, time to pull them out and put them in the smoker!.

Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 08:47:34 PM »
I have 2 vac-packed, from this cook, that I'm going to throw on a HOT grill this weekend to heat up!  Gotta get that outside a little more cooked! ;)

And Arnie - if you "low and slow" correct, on things like loins, prime rib, and such, there's no risk of over-cooking on the reverse sear.  Chicken's a little different.  Temp needs to be 500+ (higher the better), and it should only take a few minutes to brown the outside, without cooking the inside.  Kind of a "blast furnace" effect! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Barrel99

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 10:41:09 PM »
Tony, it is the chicken that has the most problem. Especially pieces.  Don't think my grill gets hot enough. Time to repair my Weber.

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 10:43:35 PM »
Don't think my grill gets hot enough. Time to repair my Weber.

Man, "been there, done that!"  Good thing is, parts are still available for us old Weber loyalists!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Barrel99

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 10:47:42 PM »
I actually have all the parts. Just been procrastinating since I got my SI.

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 11:13:27 PM »
Know what you mean, Arnie!  I neglected my old girl (I mean my Weber Genesis 1100, of course) for awhile, when I first got my SI, but soon realized that she has her place in tasks that the SI just can't handle!  I cleaned her up, gave her a new paint job, new burners, and new drip pan holders last Fall, and she's humming like new!  18 years strong!  I know the day will come when I have to let her go, but she's fed me and my family so many times, I can't even begin to count.  I know she has the bad "right side burner controls," but I don't hold that against her...  Yeah, I'm a little sentimental about my ol' Weber gasser.  Don't neglect yours - she's a great tool to help with those "reverse sears," and all the other things your SI won't do! :-*
Tony from NW Arkansas

Barrel99

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 11:48:39 PM »
You are so right Tony. The old Webers were so outstanding.  Thanks, time to get it fired up!