Author Topic: Finally Pulled The Trigger!!  (Read 7508 times)

bigbassnutt

Re: Finally Pulled The Trigger!!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 09:09:21 PM »
Hi Ken, give it a little more time it will get there. I had one about that size take 20 hours to get to temp. Some get there quickly and some seem to take forever.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

coyote

• SI2
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 10:13:27 PM »
Love my #2 you will too!!!!
HAPPY SMOKIN,
ROLL TIDE,!

Barrel99

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 10:57:38 PM »
My 7.5 lb butt in my #3 at 235 took 18 hours yesterday to get to 192. It just takes patience.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Bekeg2

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 11:53:24 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys! I kept telling myself to be patient, but wasn't expecting it to take THAT long. Next go around I will just sit tight and wait for that magic number! On a positive note... it was fantastic! I will be eating pulled pork for days...

I really do appreciate everyone taking time to comment. Without this forum and my #2 I would still just be purchasing baby back ribs and pulled pork from restaurants instead of being the envy of all my neighbors. Wish I had a camera handy this morning while watching my neighbor trying to sniff out where the fabulous smell of a pork butt from a smoker was coming from.  8)
Ken - Central Illinois
Model #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 10:28:23 PM »
Good to hear it turned out well, Ken!  It will only get better, with each smoke! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

mizzoufan

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 08:57:51 AM »
I'm going to agree with them Ken.  I had a couple of briskets (split point and flat for some reason) go for 12hrs last night and no chunk of meat was over 4.5 lbs.  I was more than a little worried about pulling shoe leather out of the smoker, but it turned out just right when I sliced into them this morning (other than getting up twice in the middle of the night to pull stuff out).  Pull apart tender rather than fall apart, moist and delicious....now if I can figure out why it took so long.  All in all, I'm learning to trust the Maverick and ignore things till it goes beep beep.
Steven from KCMO

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 07:22:02 PM »
One thing you can do on butts, Ken, is bump the temp up to 235.  I've gone to this temp for ribs and butts, and it's working well.  Butts, sometimes, can be really stubborn!  Depending on how much internal fat and connective tissue there is, in that particular butt, will determine cook time - not us!  You can even experience a "secondary stall," which I believe you did when it stopped climbing at 188 - been there, done that!  Just gotta let it work its way through, and trust your smoker and thermometer.

Remember - meat is made by animals, and every one is different!  No matter how much we want to control it, it sets its own agenda - despite our best plans!  To me, that's what makes BBQ so fun, and challenging!  You just can't control everything.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!