Author Topic: Cleaning the Inside of the Smoker  (Read 8193 times)

rowsteve65

Cleaning the Inside of the Smoker
« on: December 10, 2014, 11:03:17 PM »
Ladies and Gents,

I smoked my first turkey for Thanksgiving and it came out fabulously--even my sons who are not big turkey fans thought it was the best they had ever had.  My question now is how best to clean the inside of the smoker (I covered the wood box with aluminum foil, as well as the floor of the smoker).  Can the inside be cleaned with soap and water, just a damp rag, should I just leave things alone, etc?  Also, I know the racks can be thrown in the dishwasher, but can the rack hangers, which are removable, also be put in the dishwasher?  Thanks.

Steve

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Cleaning the Inside of the Smoker
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 12:19:09 AM »
You can out the racks and the sidewalls in the dishwasher.

I usually just wipe out the smoker with paper towels, and then a couple of times a year with soap and water.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

rowsteve65

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 01:11:10 PM »
Thanks Greg.  Have a happy, healthy and safe holiday season!

Steve

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 03:39:25 PM »
I clean the racks after every smoke.  The side racks get a run through the dishwasher maybe every 3 months or so.    I always do the foil on the smoke box and bottom, which just lifts right out when I am finished.  I use a paper towel to wipe down the bottom to get a juice that might have gotten under the foil.    Every now and then, but not often, I will wipe the inside of the box with a paper towel and soapy water.   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

es1025

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 08:05:22 PM »
I clean the racks after every smoke.

i clean the bottom of the smoker with a clean paper towel. 

I figure the extra is flavor.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 01:10:48 AM »
My racks have been washed with soap and water one time since June 5th. Prior to every smoke they are scrubbed clean with a grill brush, they come clean with very little effort. When I seasoned my smoker I left the racks in and think it made a difference. The inside of the smoker I clean with scalding hot water & paper towels every five or six smokes.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 06:55:51 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

rowsteve65

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 02:50:14 PM »
Thanks everyone for the very helpful replies.  I wish you and families a very happy, healthy and safe holiday season.

Steve

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 04:39:20 PM »
The bottom of my smoker was sticky, so after the pork butt I scrubbed it with hot soap and water. Still looked smoked but was not sticky any longer. Think I will get the bar keepers friend and clean the bottom really good. I hate it when the foil sticks to the bottom.  :o  :o
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 11:25:46 PM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 10:39:30 PM »
I don't know how much thought goes into buying a smoker with regards to cleaning.  After all it is a smoker and it is meant to get dirty inside.  But when I see threads about guys debating between the #2 and the #3, I think about extra room for not only meat but internal drip pans.  Now that I utilize an internal drip pan, life is a snap. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 11:29:05 PM »
Room is very tight in the #1, and after sleeping on my order. I called Steve the next morning and my order had already shipped. I was going to change it to a #2. Reason for the #1 was will not be smoking for a large amount of people. And so far have not had any real issues with the size of meats that I smoke.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri