Author Topic: Model 3 Mobility  (Read 1813 times)

elk_smoker

Model 3 Mobility
« on: October 13, 2014, 10:47:28 AM »
Hello to all! 

I am still a newbie in pre-purchase mode.  I have decided on the Smokin-it brand, but still have one burning (pardon the pun) question before I pull the trigger...

My main concern is moving the Model #3.  I have limited space under my carport and will want to store the smoker in my storage shed which is raised about 18" off of the ground.  The shed is located about 50 feet from my carport and has a ramp leading up to the doors.  The normal 4" casters will not work for moving through the yard and up & down the ramp, so I am trying to come up with the best solution for my requirement.

One solution I cam up with is to purchase this stainless steel cart from Sam's Club and modify it, replacing the casters on the cart with 6" or 8" never flat "pneumatic" tires, then cutting the posts down a little bit to lower the top shelf down to a "top heavy safe" level.  The reason for cutting  the the front posts down would be to allow the door on the Model #3 to open without obstruction. The cart has a 500lb capacity.

See the cart here:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/utility-cart/prod9070084.ip

The other solution I cam up with is a hydraulic table-lift from Harbor Freight.  This is a cart that raises and lowers via hydraulics.  The lift height is 27.5", which would be great for the Model #3. This would be a great solution as the unit could be lowered for moving, raised to operating height via the hydraulic foot pump, then lowered again for moving back into the shed.  The two problems I see with this solution are: 1. Replacing the casters with yard-compatible tires and 2.  It would look REALLY funky.

The table-lift can be seen here:
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60730-10041.html

I suppose I could just replace the casters on the smoker itself with 6"-8" tires, but I don't want it to end up looking like a modified 4-wheel drive "Monster Truck Smoker".  Not that there is anything wrong with that, it is just not my style when it comes to smokers.

Do any of you have a similar situation and if so, what have you come up with as a solution?

Thank You to all in advance!
I never fail. I succeed at finding what does not work.

Smokin-IT Model 3,  Cajun Grill Super Cajun w/offset Firebox,  Southwest Smokers Portable Smoker/Grill, Backyard Steakhouse Infrared Grill,  Charbroil Big Easy Infrared Fryer

Kevin from S.E. Louisiana

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Model 3 Mobility
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 12:46:48 PM »
I am pretty sure that I have rolled my #3 on the grass without any problems. It definitely wouldn't roll as well as 6" pneumatics. But from what I remember, it still rolled "OK". If I get a chance tonight, I'll get mine out and see how well it rolls on the grass. I periodically move my smoker from my garage to my deck and there is about a 20' span of grass that I have to cover. And, I am pretty darn sure I didn't lift it 20 feet.

I definitely don't think you would have a problem going up a ramp with them though.

Like others have said, I would just try to find a spot where you can store it outdoors with the cover on it. That is unless you are worried about theft. I left mine out on my deck through a pretty rough ND winter last year and will be doing the same thing this year.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.