Author Topic: Maine Grilling woods  (Read 25991 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Maine Grilling woods
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 09:13:12 PM »
You can ask for a CookShack cut at one of the companies. I can't remember if it was Maine Grilling Woods or Fruitawood though.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 09:38:21 PM »
Arnie, the Cookshack cut from Fruitawood is pretty-well sized, but I find I still have to split some.  It's easy, if you use a hatchet and a hammer.  Set the chunk on concrete, then place the hatchet blade where you want the split, then one tap with the hammer and it splits easy.  This is not like splitting firewood, and the hatchet/hammer method gives complete control and safety.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 09:50:08 PM »
Tony is right, hatchet and hammer, one small strike and done.  Its easier than I thought it would be.  Just did two bags of maine wood last week, took little time at all. 

At first I though it might be a pain, "hardwood" but was easier than taking out the trash once a week. 

John
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Barrel99

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 07:19:41 AM »
But how do you get the right size, 3 oz for example? I would end up with wood chips not blocks. Also if you are splitting them what size and type (splits?) do you order to start with?
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 09:01:14 AM »
I have purchased wood chunks from fruitawood that mostly fit in the SI wood box.  If you go to fruitawood, then you want to include "COOK SHACK CUT" in the comments box on the order form.   As I said, most of the chunks are about 3oz and will fit, but some are a bit too tall to fit the box and will need to be split.   I have not ordered from Maine Grilling woods, so I don't know if they have a similar cookshack cut for their wood.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2014, 09:21:14 AM »
The wood I got from Maine online ranged from 2 oz to 6 oz chunk size

If you have a digital scale, you can tell which ones need to be chopped in 1/2 (give or take). 

If you want 3 oz in the smoker, no problem adding a 1 oz and 2 oz chunk in the box.

Or if you want 2 oz for small smoke you can add two 1 oz size or there abouts.     
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2014, 09:24:48 AM »
FYI, the stock photo they show online is pretty much what the chunks look like.  Sort of pie piece shaped and a variety of sizes.  Some smaller, some larger.   

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2014, 01:48:38 PM »
I keep the splitting to a minimum - pretty much just the chunks that won't let the lid close!  There's always enough selection to find the right size pieces to weigh out where I want them to.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Barrel99

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2014, 03:33:30 PM »
I get the idea. Thanks guys. At least I now know what to look for.

Here's another question: If I use 2-1.5 oz pieces, will they burn up faster and give more smoke than a single 3 oz piece which will burn longer. I guess what I am asking is that the larger the chunk the longer the smoke time?

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

es1025

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2014, 10:16:39 AM »
Arnie
I like to cut the wood in pieces. If i have 3 oz i try to get three smaller piece, the wood in my opinion smokes better.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2014, 11:58:30 AM »
I think I keep my chunks around 1.5-2 oz.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Walt

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2014, 12:09:45 PM »

"Here's another question: If I use 2-1.5 oz pieces, will they burn up faster and give more smoke than a single 3 oz piece which will burn longer. I guess what I am asking is that the larger the chunk the longer the smoke time?"

I think the smoke quantity (total volume of smoke produced) will remain the same.  However, the chips & slivers have more exposed surface area so the consumption will be more rapid.  A definate consideration for length of smoke.  No need for small pieces with primal cuts that requires lengthy smokes but for short duration smokes it is a concept you should become familiar with.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Barrel99

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2014, 11:16:45 PM »
Good stuff, thanks again. Basics like this are helpful to everyone starting out.

Barrel99

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2014, 02:22:04 PM »
Does the bark give a bitter taste to the food? Should you use only chunks without bark?

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2014, 03:22:28 PM »
I have bark on some of my fruitawood chunks, and I have not seen a difference in the smoke on the meat.  I think you will be OK.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2