Author Topic: My #3 Unpacking Story  (Read 15857 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
My #3 Unpacking Story
« on: February 11, 2014, 10:48:50 PM »
Well, I unpacked the #3 in my stairway landing. Man, that thing was tough to wiggle out of there by myself.

After cleaning all of the packing Styrofoam off and out of it, I slowly walked it up the 8 stair steps to my living room. That about wiped me out. I had to take a break and just admire her sitting in my living room for awhile. I probably should have waited until my kids got home to help me, but I was too excited.

About an hour later I finally took the racks out except the middle one that I left in there with the probe from my new Maverick et 733 directly in the middle of the smoker. Loaded up about 4 oz. of hickory dowels and pushed her out on the deck and cranked her up to 250 around 8:15.

It started smoking within about 15 minutes and really got going around 30.

It climbed up to 342 before the red light kicked off. It then coasted to 347 (50 minutes in) before it started going back down again. I know this is an empty smoker and not really an indication of how it will do with food in it. But my worries about this thing getting up to temp don't appear to be a problem. It actually warmed up to be a pretty nice day here in ND. The wind has died down and it is still 20 degrees above.

Well, it's about an 1:05 into the 4:00 hour seasoning smoke and the temp has dropped down to 252 and the red light has kicked on again. Visible smoke appears to have stopped, but there it is dark and there is still a bit of wind so it could still be lightly smoking and I just can't see it. I am kind of wondering if my dowels didn't ignite causing the big spike up to 347.

About 1:36 in and I am back up to 316 and the red light kicked off.

So, my guess is that it will settle into a smaller range of ups and downs as the season smoke goes. When actually smoking meat I'll be setting at 225 and with food in the smoker and I am guessing that the temps will fall into even more of a normal range.

I have smoked a lot of different types of hickory over the years, and I will say that the hickory from Smoken-It has a very fragrant and deep smell that I haven't really got from my previous smokes with big box store hickory and electric and propane smokers. I am glad that I sprung for an extra pack of hickory and a bag of cherry from Smokin-It for my first order.

I can't wait to get some meat in this thing. Gonna be christening her with a Boston Butt starting on Friday night for an overnight smoke.

Summary:

:15 - Started Smoking
:30 - Heavy Smoke
:50 - Red Light turned off for the first time at 342 degrees.
:53 - Coasted to a high of 347 before it slowly started going back down.
1:05 - The Red Light kicked on again at 252
1:36 - The Red Light turned off at 316 and is starting to go back down again.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: My #3 Unpacking Story
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:56:42 PM »
It will all average out, and the finished butt will be excellent.  Just don't over smoke.

The 3 is a solid smoker, isn't it!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 11:00:40 PM »
Yeah, I am not worried about the swings.

It is going to be a keeper. At least until I can afford a #4 or a #5 (You can always hope right?).
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 11:10:33 PM »
Indeed it did. Thanks for the reminder.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 11:18:48 PM »
So awesome to see someone with their virgin SI smoker. Reminder is that those temps were most likely the wood catching fire but after setting up with meats in the chamber there will be a buffer and things will settle. The bare chamber is going to get unreasonable temp swings since there is nothing in it. And it is brand new. OH that feeling of the brand new smoker, LOVE IT.

Can't wait to hear about your smokes.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 11:29:43 PM »
Thanks Ben. That is totally what I figured.

The real test will be once I start actually smoking some meat.

I thought about not even using the probe since I knew it would not be a real test of temps. But I did it simply out of curiosity and also to test the new 733 that I just received last night. So it was a virgin thermometer too. ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 12:00:22 AM »
Great job sir!
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 02:21:10 AM »
Some pics in her new home. She's got a nice bit of color on her now. Will be looking forward to see the seasoning darken up with some more smokes.

I am thinking that I will build a wood stand of some type this Spring to get the #3 up higher with an enclosed cabinet to store supplies, unused racks, etc. I just don't see myself spending the dollars for the SI stand. Too dang cold to do build it now though. I'll have to hunch over to the time being.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 08:50:34 AM »
Congrats, Gregg!  Nothing better than the first day seasoning smoke, except the first smoke with meat in there!  And yes, temp swings are crazy in an empty smoker.  When you have a load of meat and a water pan, you'll see it be much more stable.  Looking forward to your first cook!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 01:22:27 PM »
Everything you described sounds very normal, so I would say you are off and running!   Get some meat, and happy smoking!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

rickne

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 02:55:53 PM »
Good strong temps!  Every smoker has a "personality" and you will get to know yours.  But with those big temps, I would be inclined to think you won't have issues getting to a decent temp with a load of meat.

I agree with you that the hickory dowels that come with it is the strongest hickory I've every smoked with.  Be very careful cooking with them.  A little goes along way.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 03:59:19 PM »
Well put Rick. I am very pleased with the #3's ability to get up to temp so fast and really go a fair amount over the set temp even considering that it was empty.

I have always said that I wasn't worried about the swings as I agree that they will totally even out in the end. The ability to get to temp was my only possible concern and it appears that that concern shouldn't be a problem with my unit based on this first experience.

I definitely hear you when you say that a little goes a long way on the SI hickory.

The only thing I thought was kind of weird and I haven't brought it up yet, is that my heating element and the frame that the smoker box sits on appears to be bent toward the left side of the smoker. So, the smoker box does not sit directly in the middle of the box. It is proabably about 2" or so to the left. It is directly in the middle at the back of the smoker, but points to the left in the front. I don't know that it is really anything to worry about. But wondering if anyone else has seen this?
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Walt

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 04:11:44 PM »
My #2 has the exact same crooked element.  However, it is sturdy & operates great.  Was a non issue for me.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 04:14:04 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Walt. I didn't really think it would be a problem. It is not like it is so far off to the point where it would significantly heat one side vs the other.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 05:21:20 PM »
That lean toward the left allows one to get a "liberal" amount of smoke production.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 07:09:05 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives