Author Topic: 1st use of Jerky Drier  (Read 4629 times)

Walt

1st use of Jerky Drier
« on: January 12, 2014, 09:42:11 PM »
Here goes.... picked up a "beef round eye round roast" @ Sams today (4.6lbs).  It was the leanest roast I could find.  Cut it in 1/4 in strips & marinated it in a similar version of the previous jerky post.  Plan on putting it on tomorrow.  Will update progress & give my opinion of the dryer when done.  Also picked up a tenderloin & a brisket for another day.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

puddle jumper

Re: 1st use of Jerky Drier
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 05:05:07 AM »
Sounds good, I look forward to hear what you think of the dryer and how well it works..
I'm thinking about getting one also...
 8)
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

Walt

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 07:58:04 PM »
This morning I put the jerky in.  I layed the pieces flat on the racks.  It only filled 1.5 of the shelves. Put a chunk of the Jack Daniels oak in & set to 180.  Ran a few errands & when I got back (2.5 hrs later) reduced heat to 160 & placed the dryer on top & plugged it in.  4.5 hrs later I removed them.  Twice during the cook I checked the meat, rearranging & flipping.  The flavor was good but next time I will increase the heat substantially.  Originally, I cut the meat approx. 1/4" thick.  As per my girls, they would like it thinner next time.  Overall the jerky was good.  The dryer is a simple but well built accessory.  It performs as advertised and well worth it if you like jerky.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 08:26:41 PM »
Walt

Thanks for the photos. I love jerky but I'm not there just yet to get the drier as I've never been one to make my own jerky.

This may be a nice hobby at some point.

Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
Lookin' good, Walt!  I'm definitely going to have to get a dryer soon!  Loves me some good jerky!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Wik

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 12:56:59 PM »
Walt - I just ordered mine today so I'll definitely be browsing the forums for recipes / ideas once it arrives.  Let me know if you come across a great recipe to try out.
Wik
Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner

puddle jumper

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 08:02:04 AM »
Looks good Walt,,
  I'm kind of surprised that it did not shrink down thinner when you smoked/dried it??? 1/4 ' is usually how thick I cut mine when I used to do mine in the oven???
The dryer its on my wish list..
 8)
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner