Author Topic: Venison Sausage "updated"  (Read 9098 times)

puddle jumper

Venison Sausage "updated"
« on: January 10, 2014, 08:35:03 PM »
Tried my hand at sausage making,,,5 lbs of Venison and a sausage cannon,, littler work and they turned out great... Several people have tried them and everyone loves them...
I think I have found a new hobby...
 8)
PJ
One thing about the pics I actually used the backwoods "Hickory Seasoning" but the same brand...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 12:02:53 AM by puddle jumper »
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Venison Sausage
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 08:54:55 PM »
Oh my... ;D   Those look incredible!  What kind of wood, temp and how long?  Probably need to mail a box of samples to me for inspection.  lol.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

puddle jumper

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 12:33:41 AM »
LOl, I would love for you to try them and tell me what you think,, one of these days when things get bigger around here we need to try to do a get together for the forum,I would love to meat some of you guys.,

I'm on a Peach wood kick right now, so that's what they where smoked in,,, about 6 hrs 170 to start and bumped it up to 200 for the last hr,,, to get them to 170. IT..

Im no expert, this is my first time running sausage in the smoker,, I have done thin cut strips in the oven in the past but its been a long time,, but im really happy with the way these turned out,, the only problem I had with them was the casing I used is a little loose on some of the areas but I think that's due to air being trapped in the casing, I popped some of them but did not get them all so maybe take my time and get them all next run,,,I used clear collagen casings next run I think I will use the red casing more like on slim jims..
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 12:36:38 AM »
Sounds mighty tasty, John!  I bet peach was a good choice.  I like peach on pork, but have never smoked venison with it.  I just drooled a little...sorry!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 05:59:51 AM »
Oh man.... That is nice! I never get venison anymore but now am thinking of getting some from my brother in law.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

puddle jumper

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 05:21:48 AM »
Funny Story,,, I ended up making 30 stix,, I froze half of them to keep them fresh,, two days later I pulled them back out of the freezer becouse they where gone,,LOL, I'm making another batch this week but I'm going to add a little cyan for some bite...
 ;)
Sausage is a hit at my house...
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

4wd-n-archery

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 11:04:55 PM »
Did you put a tray of water in for moisture or smoke the dry.
look delicious. I'm looking to do the same soon.

puddle jumper

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 07:32:40 PM »
Nope, no water tray,,
I figured that this was about drying out the meat so just heat and smoke on this one...
Santa got to stay home...LOL
 8)
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 02:50:39 AM »
Those stix look awesome. Twisting them makes them look pretty cool. My family and I typically do 25 lbs. at a time, so to make things easier, we just stuff the casings without the twist and then cut them into sizes that fit on the racks, and then cut the final product into 4"-6" pieces before getting vacuum packed.

On a related note, does anyone know what IT we snack stix should be cooked to?

I have always just gone by site/feel. But am interested in a more quantitative answer for the desired IT. I just ordered a new Maverick ET-733. So plan on trying to be a bit more precise on the next batch.

While my stix taste really good, I think they are a little dry on the inside compared to the ones that you get in a meat market.

Thanks for any information you veteran smokers can provide.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 07:29:12 PM »
Oh dear lord I gained four pounds just looking at those photos
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

puddle jumper

Re: Venison Sausage "update"
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 12:02:17 AM »
Just a quick update,,,
 I didn't take any pics of the stuffing but I did another batch,, everything the same but I added a teaspoon of cyane,
and I tried making some jerky sticks "no casing" along with ones in the casing,,

Results where really good they have a nice bite to then but not to bad,
One thing I learned, I ether need to do them in the casing or just the stix because the smoking time is different for the two... stix don't need as long, they got a little to dried out but they where still tasty just should have come out of the smoker about a 1 hr to 1 1/2 earlier...
Happy Smoking
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Venison Sausage "updated"
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 12:15:50 AM »
Did you monitor the internal temp at all?

Would a Maverick even read correctly if you put the probe in one of the six?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 12:27:20 AM »
I don't think the Maverick (as good as it is) would be very helpful on thin stix like these.  It's a lot like ribs, wings or jerky - some trial and error on the time, and "feel," until you get it dialed-in.  But, I could be wrong.  Since there's no bone to influence the temp (like ribs), it might work. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

puddle jumper

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 01:01:32 AM »
 I did put the probe in one of the sausages just for a little feedback,,, cooking at 170 it really surprised me how long it stalled at 145, and I pulled them when it got to 165 but that was after I kicked the temp up to 200 at the end...
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 01:16:25 AM »
I don't think the Maverick (as good as it is) would be very helpful on thin stix like these.  It's a lot like ribs, wings or jerky - some trial and error on the time, and "feel," until you get it dialed-in.  But, I could be wrong.  Since there's no bone to influence the temp (like ribs), it might work.

I was kind of wondering the same thing. I think I will still try it and see what happens.
Gregg - Fargo, ND