Author Topic: Smokin-It Temperature Contoller Bypass  (Read 98635 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Smokin-It Temperature Contoller Bypass
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2014, 08:28:48 AM »
Thanks, Steve!  Yep, that's a model 3.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

cwshiles

• Get out there and Smoke it!
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2014, 06:14:16 PM »
Well Steve, maybe you need a big Cadillac sticker on the front of your smoker.   :o

Looks good.  I am very happy with my power cord change.  Having the more flexible power cord is nice and the lengths work well for my situation as well.  Good luck.

I used to see that avatar with the A-10 alot when I was searching for which smoker to get.  I love it. 

I saw another guy with a stick burner that had a World of Warcraft theme on his smoker and several others that had their college or professional sports team.  Not my thing, but its impressive the extent some of these folks go to customize the look of their smoker.
Charlie from MD
Smokin it Model #3 with Cart
Auber 1503, Maverick ET-733, iGrill

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2014, 09:02:13 PM »
Well... I did the deed today. No breakers tripped so all is well. Spent time to ensure it was meticulous.

The switch on top looks from the factory. When missile launcher closed the SI thermostat is inline. When "launched" I can over ride it assuming I have the Auber plugged in.

Also modified the power cord. Really I just shortened it for the exact length of my setup. Only did this because the unit was opened up for the last time i hope.  :)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 09:03:55 PM by Polish Q »
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

Walt

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2014, 09:08:58 PM »
Very clean.  Impressive.  I'm waiting for you guys to get this all dialed in before I pull the trigger.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2014, 09:11:33 PM »
...oh and here is a picture of the side table mod.

I drilled a pilot through the hinge and the table. For now I have put a machine screw 6 through for times when I know I'm doing a long smoke, when there will be heavy traffic near the smoker, or lots of people. At which point I Will insert the screw.

I may make a custom S hook to slip through. That will be easier and double as a spatula hanger, etc.

Anyway... This is real nice and ensures if bumped... The shelves stay in place... And can continue to keep from and accident. I found this hard to do.  The stainless steel requires patience!!!!

Wik

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2014, 09:16:20 PM »
Can I get a link for where to source that switch at?  I see some low voltage ones like that that also are lighted.  Wonder if a guy could find a 120 lighted one and mount it into the same location as the built in power light.  That way you still have the visual light and a by-pass switch.
Hmm...  I can see I'll be getting itching once again...
Wik
Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2014, 09:37:09 PM »
Wik:

Drilling through the top stainless was a bear. I don't have the right equipment. A $3 drill bit ... again requires patience. Unfortunately I would have enjoyed a beer doing all this but didn't want to risk getting clumsy. 

That said, I had the microswitch. However, I debated about buying a new one with the launcher cover that is lit. I know what you are saying.

You want the following...

Double pole, double throw (DPDT) center off.
15A - 125VAC rating. ( the SI draws 10A so that's plenty and likely your on a 15A house circuit breaker).

I can show you the circuit if needed. It's simple yet elegant. ;-)

I will also search some sites as I out my 2 year old to bed.

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2014, 09:39:42 PM »
Can I get a link for where to source that switch at?  I see some low voltage ones like that that also are lighted.  Wonder if a guy could find a 120 lighted one and mount it into the same location as the built in power light.  That way you still have the visual light and a by-pass switch.
Hmm...  I can see I'll be getting itching once again...
Wik

Wik : whenever the heater is on the SI light is on... Regardless of the bypass or microswitch. You don't need the lit missile launcher... That's only for effect but I am sure the chicks would dig it.

Steve

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2014, 09:50:03 PM »
Very impressive and professional looking craftsmanship. Innovation is alive and well in America!  Making a great smoker better!!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2014, 09:54:58 PM »
Nice job, Steve!  Looks like the "master arm" switch was factory!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2014, 10:06:48 PM »
Sarge:
Funny. I have family. I have work ( for family ). I have education. No hobbies except those three things.  Seems simple. So today was spent going to the hardware store with 8 and 6 year old sons, buying studs, explaining ratings, RMS, lugs, bits, and so on. They lost steam. I literally wasted 12 hours on a 1 hour job( or 2 if you don't have a diamond drill bit to get through stainless). We even got distracted and had to get a magnifying glass and a sharpie - it was easier to agree so we could leave the store. They tried the work. I had to redo it. They would fill up my coffee and so on. Hopefully they turn out better than anything I could ever smoke :-)
Steve

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2014, 10:27:58 PM »
Steve,

I remember trips to the hardware store with my dad in the 50's, and then with my son in the late 80's.  Good times both and I'm sure your two helpers learned a great deal that will surprise you some day long into the future.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2014, 11:26:15 PM »
Final post on this thread for me... Signs hung at the Polish Q Headquarters ... Thanks for all the help and ideas folks. I appreciate the collaboration my forum-cue enthusiasts.

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2014, 11:27:42 PM »
very small thing....can you rotate your pics before uploading, otherwise Awesome stuff man!
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

cwshiles

• Get out there and Smoke it!
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2014, 01:21:20 AM »
Looks great Steve! Very impressive. The switch looks like it was there all along.

I also like the shelf mod. That would definitely be enough to keep the shelf from sliding and dropping. I will be giving that mod a try in the near future.

I also like the garage smoker setup. That's a pretty nice way to keep the SI out of the elements.

Now stop tinkerin and get to smokin!   8)
Charlie from MD
Smokin it Model #3 with Cart
Auber 1503, Maverick ET-733, iGrill