Author Topic: Brined Pork Butt for Pulled Pork  (Read 232305 times)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Brined Pork Butt for Pulled Pork
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 05:50:08 PM »
Thanks for this, Divot!   I always brine poultry, but never thought it was necessary for pork.   I'll follow your lead on the next butt that I do.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 07:04:15 PM »
Thanks, Steve!  Melt-in-your-mouth tender and juicy!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 11:20:47 PM »
Mark: I would definitely stick to food grade plastic for brining.  Try going to a wine making shop, they should have food grade plastic pails with lids for about $10. Making wine, everything has to be sterile, unless you plan on making vinegar.  I have used the same pails that they sell juice concentrate for wine making.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

es1025

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 05:58:39 AM »
Tony
10.5 hours of cooking time is fast.  Maybe the brining speeds up the cooking process.  I know when I smoke butts it's every bit of 1.5 hours per pound.  I am curious to try brining a butt.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 07:40:40 AM »
According to what I've read, brining does speed-up the cooking process.  Maybe others can confirm this?  I'll know more about that when I do more brining (since this was my first time).
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

shomesmoke

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 09:24:10 PM »
Mark: I would definitely stick to food grade plastic for brining.  Try going to a wine making shop, they should have food grade plastic pails with lids for about $10. Making wine, everything has to be sterile, unless you plan on making vinegar.  I have used the same pails that they sell juice concentrate for wine making.

Thanks Tony, If it rains this weekend I will try and find one of those buckets, I have got to try this brining!
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

Etex

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 05:52:21 PM »
I started brining my chicken before I had the electric smoker.  It really made a difference in the moistness.  I often use the Tupperware made for a turkey.  Holds quite a bit.  When I am not hungry the pictures are appreciated.  When I am hungry, I imagine the poster gets some type of wicked delight from the torment.

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 07:33:18 PM »
I started brining my chicken before I had the electric smoker.  It really made a difference in the moistness.  I often use the Tupperware made for a turkey.  Holds quite a bit.  When I am not hungry the pictures are appreciated.  When I am hungry, I imagine the poster gets some type of wicked delight from the torment.

You're right, Tex!  My problem is seeing the pictures makes me hungry, even when I'm not!  :P   I guess it's the same twisted delight people get eating a big burger in front of the lion cage at the zoo.  They may not mean to be cruel, but it is.  lol
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 09:50:47 PM »
When looking up a new recipe, the ones with pictures always help you appreciate and level set your expected results.  I enjoy seeing the pics on this forum because it encourages me to try new recipes or ideas.

And I can understand the emotions of the lion because that is how I feel when I am waiting for meat to come out of the smoker, then devour it without hesitation.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 09:56:03 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2013, 10:45:47 PM »
Haha, Tony!  I'm a visual person, and I am always attracted to posts/recipes with pictures!  I always try to give viewers a glimpse of what I'm seeing through the process, but it's hard (sometimes) at 5 a.m. to get the camera working!

Someone once said, "If there aren't pictures, it didn't happen."  I love seeing pics of everyone's success stories, and try to encourage everyone to take and post them.  I think it adds a lot to the stories about our experiences.  I think most people are visual, too, and pictures are definitely worth the effort and time.
Tony from NW Arkansas

netherman

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2013, 08:03:19 PM »
quick question...did you put any liquid in a pan when you used this method?  If so, what did you go with?
Chris in Denver, CO
proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2013, 10:13:36 PM »
I used apple juice in my water pan, Chris.  I always use either apple juice or beer in the pan.
Tony from NW Arkansas

netherman

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2013, 10:25:18 PM »
perfect thanks...got everything all set up for tomorrow morning...cannot wait!
Chris in Denver, CO
proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2013, 10:49:14 PM »
Should be a good day in the Smokin-It world, Chris!  I'm doing baby backs tomorrow!

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1024.0
Tony from NW Arkansas

Wik

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2014, 11:02:39 AM »
Question on brining times.  Is there a recommendation on approx. hour per lb?  What is too long?
Had some smoked turkey at a tailgating event and they said they brine 10-12lb bird for about 5 days but it wasn't overly salty and the sweared by it.  I plan on brining a pork butt today and this question was in the back of my head.
Thx,
Wik
Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner