Author Topic: I tried brining a butt in my #1  (Read 2116 times)

BlackRock

I tried brining a butt in my #1
« on: July 10, 2018, 04:59:14 PM »
I followed the brine recipe in the pork forum yesterday (no pink salt though).  After brining overnight, I used mustard and Head Country rub, then placed it in the #1 at 235 degrees at 8:00 AM.

I programmed the Auber to run 235 degrees until an internal temp of 192 degrees, then back down to 140 degrees for resting.

It took 10.5 hours for a 10 lb shoulder, which was much faster than I'm used to (I knew ahead of time that the brine should speed up the cook time by 30%).  After 1/2 hour to rest in the smoker, I removed it and allowed to cool for 15 minutes then pulled it apart.

The results were pretty good, just not spectacular.  Although I thoroughly rinsed the shoulder before applying the rub, the bark and outer 1/2-inch of meat were pretty dry and salty (like jerky).  I wouldn't say the inside was any juicier of more flavorful than the previous method I used. 

My previous method had always been to place a trimmed butt in an aluminum pan, inject (very similar recipe as the brine), rest for a few hours in fridge, add mustard/rub, and placed pan directly in the smoker.  Once I reach the stall, I usually added some apple juice to the pan and covered with foil until internal temp was 192 degrees.

I lose some of the bark this way but find the smokey flavor just fine and the pork juicier.  I also add quite a bit to the cook time as it takes over 15 hours typically.  I always start this method at 9 or 10 PM the night before and let rest in the #1 at 140 until 1/2 hour before dinner.

I think part of my problem was that I trimmed off the fat cap and without the foil, the butt got a little drier.  I know my rub contained salt, so this may have been the part of the problem.

Overall, when I want to start in the morning and eat the shoulder in the same day, I'll definitely brine again.  But if I put it in the smoker the night before, it's just easier to inject. 

I will say that I like leaving the shoulder in the pan to capture the juices.  I mix that with some vinegar sauce and use for dipping (which everyone seems to love).  It also leaves the bottom of the smoker much cleaner.  If I leave the fat cap on, I won't cover at the stall, if I remove the fat cap, I'll cover with foil to retain moisture during the stall.

FYI, I found a 1970's stainless-steel highschool cash register table on Craigslist for $25.  It was full of gunk and crud, but after I removed the drawer and cleaned the heck out of the steel, it makes an excellent smoker stand as it has a folding reversible extension wing and sits at the perfect height (not to mention it is extremely stable).  I have a piece of butcher block to install as a bottom shelf and need to reconfigure a shelf where the drawer used to be so I can leave the Auber outside without worry or rain.
Dave from Eastern Pa, #1

TX Gent

Re: I tried brining a butt in my #1
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 09:23:23 AM »
Great stand sure wish I could find one at that price

I have a source for high quality BB so I don't brine or inject and very little salt in the rub. I use 6oz of hickory and a water/beer pan @ 225 and a 10/12 lb BB usually gets to 195 in around 14hrs give or take. I'll pull it and double wrap in foil. I like to wait about 3 hours before slice/pulling. I really think one of the hidden secrets to a moist anything is a well wrapped longer hold ... the meat relaxes slowly, juices redistribute and moistens through out the BB.

John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

Donmac

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 11:24:40 AM »
My first thought is that the butt is to close to the heat source. I would have put it on the top or second from top if too close to temp probe. You get more consistent temps near top of box.

That is a nice stand.
Don from New Hampshire, 3D & #1 Owner

BlackRock

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 03:59:18 PM »
Every time I placed the meat higher in the smoker, it seems to be too close to the Auber temp probe that is mounted along the top/rear of the smoker (as can be seen in the photo).  I'll try it on a higher shelf next time.
Dave from Eastern Pa, #1

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 07:25:37 PM »
My first thought is that the butt is to close to the heat source. I would have put it on the top or second from top if too close to temp probe. You get more consistent temps near top of box.

He is Rocking a Model #1 Not a ton of room to work with.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Boone

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 05:50:13 PM »
I also prefer your previous method. Except I don’t trim my butts. I remove exess fat when pulling.
I inject my butts with chicken stock a few hours before I apply the rub and place them in the smoker near the top with a drip pan on a rack below to catch the drippings. I smoke at 225 degrees until the internal temperature reaches 190 or slightly above. Remove the butt  from smoker and let rest covered with foil for one to two hours. I separate the fat from the drippings and reuse the juice that is left over by mixing with the pulled meat.
Dan from Wisconsin
Smokin-It #2, Auber PID
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Kettle Grills
Blackstone Flat-Top Griddle