Author Topic: Weight of wood to use  (Read 4206 times)

Art Van Delay

Weight of wood to use
« on: July 23, 2019, 04:01:27 PM »
I know there is chart showing temperature, wood types, and wood weight, but it doesn't have the corresponding weight of the protein being smoked.  For example, for sliced brisket it says to use between 5-6 ounces of wood.  However, there is no weight listed for the brisket.  Do you use the same amount of wood regardless of the size?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Weight of wood to use
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 06:52:35 PM »
The answer is squarely in the middle of "it's subjective" and "it depends".  :)   

General rule of thumb... if it's a larger mass, a long smoke, and/or a product where most tend to want a heavier smoke flavor (brisket, butt, turkey) then you use 4-8 oz of wood.  If it's something delicate (fish), a small mass (a chicken), or a pretty short smoke time then you might only use 1-3 oz of wood.  For variables in-between you do the 3-4 oz. of wood.  Of course, you increase or decrease to your own personal preferences.

Perhaps the rule for your other thumb is, if in doubt, use less wood...   it's rare to make something inedible because you used too little wood.  Sure, perhaps it could have been better, but it'll be edible.  The forums are littered with posts where too much wood was used and the flavor was too strong and/or bitter and the food ended up getting chucked.

You mentioned brisket...  If I do a 12+ lb. full packer then I use 8 oz of wood... typically hickory, which is considered a stronger flavor wood.  I've never done a smaller brisket, but if I were going to then I'd probably use 4-6 oz, instead.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Weight of wood to use
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 10:13:08 PM »
What Larry said.
Also, I tend to go lighter on smoke. I am not always consistent but 4 to 5 ounces for a large bone in butt or full packer brisket seems to be my family's sweet spot. I have done butts for pulled pork with just 3 ounces of wood and the flavor was really nice. Here is a link that you might find interesting.

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/what-you-need-know-about-wood-smoke-and
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus