Author Topic: sausage hog casings- what am i doing wrong  (Read 1527 times)

BabsBBQ

sausage hog casings- what am i doing wrong
« on: July 03, 2018, 09:33:30 AM »
I made a batch of breakfast sausage and bratwurst using the #2. A couple of things evidently did not go right. After I stuffed them, I put them in the fridge overnight. I used the hanging rods. The time for most of the sausage indicated 3 hours. A couple of weeks ago I smoked some store brats at 225 and they only took 45 mins. I thought with these, i would lower the temp to 190 to see if that would allow for a longer smoke. It did, but only to 1 hr 15min. How do you get to the 3 hour mark? I also used apple juice to add moisture. Another issue is the casings. These came out almost rubbery and chewy. Is there any way to fix this batch after the fact. I noticed that many of the pictures posted show the using the racks instead of the rods. Do the rods make them too close together? Is it the brand of casing i am using? do I need to dry it longer? I would appreciate any suggestions.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:37:18 AM by BabsBBQ »
#2 user
I'm a gardener, canner, baker, dehydrator, and candy maker.
Now I'm a smoker- the good kind :)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: sausage hog casings- what am i doing wrong
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 05:23:47 PM »
I’ve never done sausage. Have you read through the sausage section?  Might be an answer is there. Wish I could be more help.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

BabsBBQ

Re: sausage hog casings- what am i doing wrong
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 06:47:29 AM »
I did review many of the posts about sausage smoking. This gave me information about the drying overnight, temperature , Etc. Many of the sausage post dealt with summer sausage and snack sticks. I am still baffled by the temperature setting and the number of hours to smoke. Most of the other  meats that I've smoked so far  have been fairly consistent  with  the times and temperatures. looked in that section again this morning and I did find one comment about not having the water pan when doing the sausage. So maybe that is where this partially went wrong.
#2 user
I'm a gardener, canner, baker, dehydrator, and candy maker.
Now I'm a smoker- the good kind :)