Author Topic: Smoking rainbow trout  (Read 4537 times)

Doc1931

Smoking rainbow trout
« on: December 30, 2017, 12:28:02 PM »
I love smoked trout with an afternoon cocktail....any tips on smoking rainbow trout would be greatly appreciated. My little guy is arriving in a few days and I'm so excited to have it!

Walt

Re: Smoking rainbow trout
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 12:54:56 PM »
I would do it much like the standard salmon smoke. But since rainbow trout are substantially smaller I would only cure (generally the ratio for fish cure is 3 or 4 parts sugar to 1 part salt... mine is 1-1/2 C brown sugar, 1-1/2 C raw sugar, 1 C kosher salt & I also add 6 TBSP black pepper)  for 4 hours (I typically cure salmon overnight and dry starting when I wake until cooking time) followed by a drying on a wire rack uncovered in the fridge until it becomes tacky then smoke until IT 130. Use a mild wood like pecan or a fruit wood. Skinny slivers or chips and only a couple of ounces. From there you can glaze it or make a great fish dip or just eat as is. Good luck.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 12:59:38 PM »
I've always brined my trout filets overnight in soy sauce, brown sugar, minced garlic and a squirt of sirachi.  Rinse, pat dry and smoke for about an hour + depending on filet size.  At the near end, I brush filets with a brown sugar and honey or maple syrup paste.  Put back in the heat for about another 10 minutes to candy glaze the filet.  200 - 225 box temp with an ounce of wood chips. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Doc1931

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 04:02:38 PM »
Walt,

Thanks for your response and making me feel welcome to this community.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 01:15:48 AM »
Congratulations on your #1 and welcome to the forum Doc! Good luck with the trout. Let us know how it turns out.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 10:21:21 AM »
Doc,
I have smoked salmon for friends (I don't care for it, to fishy) but would like to try trout, so I am looking forward to hearing your results.
Best Greg

JustChillin

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 10:54:45 AM »
I smoked some years ago on an Egg and used apple wood. I think a light fruity wood works best.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

SconnieQ

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 07:26:23 PM »
Costco sells frozen Chilean Sea Bass filets in Bags, next to their other frozen fish in bags. I have checked it out, and they claim it is sustainable, so I don't have to feel bad. (Guests have gotten concerned with me serving Chilean Sea Bass, because of recent bans :() If you don't like the fishiness of salmon, and like something that is melt in your mouth, try smoking this. I use a brine like salmon (1 part salt to 2-4 parts brown sugar), but only brine for about 4 hours. Rinse and dry on a rack for 4+ hours. The sky is the limit for variations on this. Smoke to internal temp of 125-130. It is a total fat bomb. Drips with fish fat if you don't oversmoke it. Mild, tender, and not fishy. My new favorite smoked fish.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

TX Gent

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 08:18:27 PM »
Good to know Kari ... I'll give the sea bass a try. Is there a particular wood you prefer?
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 11:27:20 AM »
Costco sells frozen Chilean Sea Bass filets in Bags, next to their other frozen fish in bags. I have checked it out, and they claim it is sustainable, so I don't have to feel bad. (Guests have gotten concerned with me serving Chilean Sea Bass, because of recent bans :() If you don't like the fishiness of salmon, and like something that is melt in your mouth, try smoking this. I use a brine like salmon (1 part salt to 2-4 parts brown sugar), but only brine for about 4 hours. Rinse and dry on a rack for 4+ hours. The sky is the limit for variations on this. Smoke to internal temp of 125-130. It is a total fat bomb. Drips with fish fat if you don't oversmoke it. Mild, tender, and not fishy. My new favorite smoked fish.

Kari,
Perfect, I am heading to Costco in the next day or so and I will plan to up of the Chilean Sea Bass.
Best Greg

SconnieQ

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 05:09:55 PM »
Good to know Kari ... I'll give the sea bass a try. Is there a particular wood you prefer?

I use smokinlicious cherry or maple, because that's what I have. But any mild fruitwood or nutwood should work well. It smokes pretty quick like salmon, so you want to use small slivers split from your chunks, or chips.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 05:42:06 PM »
Perfect, I am heading to Costco in the next day or so and I will plan to up of the Chilean Sea Bass.
Best Greg

Greg, I think you will like smoked Chilean Sea Bass if you are not a fan of salmon. Another good mild fatty fish to smoke is Alaskan Sablefish, also known as Alaskan Black Cod. In my top 2 of all around favorite fish. (Not actually cod, that is a nickname, and not related to cod.) It is very high in fat, and very popular for smoking. Sablefish/Black Cod has become so popular, that is most cases it is much more expensive than Chilean Sea Bass. So I reserve mine for Miso Marinated Black Cod. But, if you have a good source for it, it's a great fish to smoke. (I have to custom order from Alaska or from local Fish Market around here.) It's a little softer and finer in texture than Chilean Sea Bass. I prefer the large flakes and juicy fat between the flakes of Chilean Sea Bass, but smoked Sablefish/Black Cod is close second. FYI, Chilean Sea Bass from Costco might become a favorite for you for all fish dishes, not just smoking. :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:43:51 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 09:10:57 PM »
We get Black Cod from Whole Foods. Pretty pricey stuff.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 11:21:39 PM »

I used to order Black Cod from Alaska at FishEx.com for about $18/pound (good ol days when it wasn't so fashionable). Now the price is close to $40. Plus $25 shipping on dry ice. I wait for it to go on sale, and buy 10 pounds to make it worthwhile. It's a really rich fish, so a 4-5 ounce portion is usually plenty for 1 serving. I should check out Whole Foods.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 12:35:49 PM »
Thanks David,
I will check at Whole Food next time I visit Roswell.
Best Greg