Author Topic: taking #1 camping???  (Read 3661 times)

Eds smoking

taking #1 camping???
« on: January 18, 2016, 03:18:20 PM »
Does anyone take the SI 1 camping? Ill be gone 6 weeks salmon fishing this fall and want to smoke salmon and deer jerky in fish camp. I just got my SI 2 last Dec for my birthday and its too big to take in the truck with a 27 foot camper. I'm debating on getting the SI 1 just for these trips.  I want to do trial runs before we go fishing. Any feed back would be great . thanks ED

kz0m

• Carl
Re: taking #1 camping???
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 04:45:30 PM »
Hi Ed, also a newbee here.  My experience has been in my back yard but I wouldn't hesitate taking a #1 on the trip.   1-2 kW generator would run what you need and salmon is quick and easy to smoke, 2-2.5 hrfs  !  Take a vacuum sealer and ice chest with ice and have a blast!!

Carl
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

Eds smoking

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 05:09:39 PM »
Thanks Carl . We take a freezer with us and fill it with 800 lbs salmon and can 6 cases. There are 12 campers in our group and power is no concern.  we have vac sealers an do all of our fish there. This year our wives are going fishing with us. We love our SI 2and its size will not fit  in truck with all the extras. The SI 1 might fit our needs . Plan on smoking more than salmon there. Ed

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 05:10:55 PM »
I travel with my #3 several times a year, so taking a #1 would be easy peasy!

I go to the lake and have a seasonal camping spot pretty much every weekend from May until October. I have an offset smoker out there, but would have no problem taking my #3 if I wanted to.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Kaz

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 07:07:09 PM »
Nobody worries about attracting unwanted critters?
Kaz - Pittsburgh, PA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 08:21:06 PM »

I wouldn't worry anymore than I would with my grill and most campers that I know bring some type of grill.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 08:22:21 PM »

If you camp armed, it's not a problem.  Some of those critters are good smoked. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 08:27:38 PM »
+1

Not the camp site neighbors though:)
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 08:40:56 PM »
Not the camp site neighbors though:)

...Depends on the neighbors. ;) ;D ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!