Author Topic: Brisket Cook Time  (Read 5394 times)

Brisket Bob

Brisket Cook Time
« on: August 10, 2014, 07:59:51 AM »
Hello all.   I bought my #1 back in April and have smoked a total of 8 briskets.  It has been a really great experience and my family has enjoyed all the briskets.  Although I have had varying success with each brisket, overall I think they have all been good (some better than others).  What I don't understand is how my cook times seem to be so much different compared to everything I've read on this forum (which has been a great resource).  I have consistently read that a brisket should take about 1.5 hours per pound, however, my cook times have been dramatically less (more like 40-45 minutes per pound).  My cook times have ranged from as little at 7.5 hours to about 10.5 hours.  All the briskets have been "packer" cuts ranging in weight from 11.5 to 14lbs (pre-cooked and pre-trimmed weights).  They all have been "choice" cuts.  I've set the temperature gauge at 220° and pull the brisket at an internal temperature of 190° (per the recommendation of Divotmaker - which I completely agree with). I know that elevation can impact cook times, but we live in Chicago, so I don't think that is the issue.  And I've used between 4 and 5 ounces of wood....mostly hickory and apple woods (although I don't think it really matters for cook time....just trying to include all the variables).

I realize that every cut of meat is different, however, I think after 8 briskets, the sample size is large enough to notice this trend.  I'm not complaining that my briskets have tasted great, but in half the time.  Just like the rest of the posts of the forum, I just wanted to learn more and improve on our craft.  Any suggestions/thoughts are always appreciated.  Thank you in advance for your help.
Bob - Chicago

GeeBee

Re: Brisket Cook Time
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 08:35:39 AM »
Bob,
My first thought is, your smoker is running hotter than you think it is. Have you dropped a temperature probe into the unit while it's running to confirm the cabinet temp? and are you checking your internal meat temp with a thermo?
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

Brisket Bob

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 08:58:55 AM »
I forgot to include that in my initial post.  Yes, I am using the Maverick ET732 Meat Thermometer (which records both the internal temperature of the meat, as well as the temperature of the smoker).  With every smoke, I keep a log of all the temperatures every half hour.  With setting the smoker at 220°, the temperature of the smoker has gotten as high as 235°, however, it usually tops out in the 210s° during the smoke.
Bob - Chicago

slojoe

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 09:25:15 AM »
Bob, maybe its because you can get choice cuts, being a better cut may have something to do with the shorter times, if they come out good, why worry.

es1025

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 09:33:41 AM »
Bob
I tried a new method for brisket. 250 degrees with a dalmation rub wrap with parchment paper at 165, smoke until it of 195.  Rest 30 minutes. Real good brisket.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Brisket Bob

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 09:40:03 AM »
Joe,

I thought about the quality of meat too as the variable, but what I remember reading (I think on this forum) is that higher quality cuts might even take longer due to less fat content (although maybe I am mixing that up).  I understand your sentiment (and my wife has echoed that) of why worry?  I feel like each time I learn something knew it usually translate to a better tasting brisket....so maybe I am doing something wrong and I could improve the taste.
Bob - Chicago

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 07:09:04 PM »
Hey Bob, good to see you around here again!  I'd say "congrats" to your briskie successes!  8)

As far as the timing goes:

1.  All meat is different... Go by IT and don't sweat the time.

2.  It may have something to do with your supplier.  Typically, they get meat from the same producers, so the quality of the meat is consistent.  Like your briskets, I have similar results with pork butts.  The ones I get at my local Sam's Club rarely take more than 1 hour per pound, which is also contrary to most postings on here.  I'm OK with that. ;) Meat is made by animals, and no two are the same.

3.  If concerned about meat timing, see step 1 above. 8)

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jdiver

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 07:46:40 AM »
Joe,

I feel like each time I learn something knew it usually translate to a better tasting brisket....so maybe I am doing something wrong and I could improve the taste.

That's why I also ask lots of questions. Especially the first time I used the thermometer to keep track of the temps. Nad lots of questions. I like to know the why, especially when it doesn't appear too be working as expected.

It is odd that you have such a difference in times. I guess keep smoking and watching:) Good luck.
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 09:51:57 AM »
I was seeing much LONGER cook times that most, and did some testing, and my average temp was about 15 degrees lower than the dial value.  When my dial was set to 225, I was getting average temps around 210.

I did a knob adjustment and was able to increase my average temps up to reflect a more accurate average.

Maybe yours is adjusted a little on the high side, and is running a little bit hotter than average?

Though it's kind of hard getting a consistent box temp during the smoking process.  If your probe is too close to the meat, it will read lower due to a cooling envelope that surrounds the meat.

In the future I am going to try and place my box probe closer to the built in probe, well away from the meat and note my temp readings there.
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 01:15:49 PM »
Hey Bob...I thought I was having an issue with my temp on the inside of my smoker and I sent Steve (Owner of Smokin-it) an email asking him how to check the inside temp of my smoker with my Maverick ET-733
And this was his reply...I just copied and paste what he sent me back...

I would insert a digital thermometer inside the smoker and set the smoker to 220 degrees, without food or wood.  Allow the smoker at least 30 min to get up to temp.   Then check the actual digital reading vs. the black knob.  Rotating the center part of the knob with the arrow to the right increase the temp and moving it to the left decreases the temp
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 07:51:59 PM »
Ben, the IT guy, put together this post on how to adjust your dial.  It's pretty easy - I've done it.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1219.0

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!