Author Topic: First smoke  (Read 5678 times)

Snoopy

First smoke
« on: July 14, 2014, 01:38:01 AM »
Hi all newbie here,
I posted in the intro section to. I'm new to smoking. Just did first smoke today (sun) in the #1. After much reading on here and picking up tips decided to smoke some ribs first. Bought 2 racks, said loinback ribs. 1 from Kroger store and 1 from walmart. Took the membrane off, thanks for the tip about starting in the middle and using paper towel, worked great! Cut ribs in half and slathered on plain ole cheap yellow mustard, rubbed with famous Daves rib rub and wrapped and let'em in the fridge for 24hrs. Lined the bottom and punched hole then box with foil and used small loaf pan half full with apple juice beside the box. Weighed out 2oz hickory that Steve sent when I bought. Also threw a big potato rubbed with olive oil and garlic salt on the top rack. Everything fit perfectly on 2 racks. Closed er up and set for 225-230. I used my stove countdown clock and set for 5hr and 10 minutes. Did the no-peek method and never opened up to check till timer went off. Had nice consistent smoke pretty much whole time. Did the toothpick check, pulled away nicely. Took out and let rest for 20min. The result, perfect ribs and potato! Nice bark and great flavor very tender. Potato was tender and had great hickory flavor. Girlfriend was impressed and couldn't believe it was so easy, so it passed the test  :). Cant wait to do some more soon and try some pulled pork, brisket. Thanks for a great product Steve and all the knowledge that's passed on here! I'm not the best with taking pics and posting but i'll see if I can figure it out and throw some up.
Lance from Woodstock OH, #1 owner

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: First smoke
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 07:21:54 AM »
Congratulations on a successful maiden voyage!    Ribs are a nice easy way to get started with the lazy Q!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

mnsmoker

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 08:35:58 AM »
Welcome to the forum Lance, congrats on that first smoke you were spot on the way you went about it I predict many more in your future......and a very happy girlfriend!!
Jim from Minnesota

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 09:12:41 AM »
Glad you had a great meal, good Idea about the potato. I had considered trying potatoes, now I definitely will. Next time post some pictures they complete the story. Keep Smoking....
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 09:43:16 AM »
I always throw a couple of potatoes in on the top shelf when doing ribs...they take about the same amount of time as the ribs and you get a nice smoke flavor on the skin!  Give it a shot - I think you will like it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:20:54 PM by swthorpe »
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 10:21:25 AM »
Welcome from ND Lance.

I am definitely going to try that Potato idea. Sounds great.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 06:47:16 PM »
Congrats on your first smoke and welcome to the club.  These smokers make us look like professionals when our friends and family try some of the great Q that these SI smokers produce.  With a bit more experience, you will be trying new ideas for your next few smokes. 

It really is trial and error at first until you find what works for you as everyone's preference is different.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:21:36 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 07:01:52 PM »
Welcome to the party, Lance!  Wow! You have been studying the ways of Lazy Q!  Congrats on a fine first smoke.  Tell your girlfriend not to tell anyone how easy it is!  When folks eat Q that good, they think it's a lot of work.  Hehe...our little secret!

Here's a post that might help with the pics:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1272.0

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 07:09:14 PM »
DM will you please stop giving away our secret (LOL!). 

I had zero experience before I purchased a smoker.  Loving every minute.  One day invest in a Auber PID, great tool and you can get temperatures consistent for hours.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 07:51:03 PM »
DM will you please stop giving away our secret (LOL!). 

I had zero experience before I purchased a smoker.  Loving every minute.  One day invest in a Auber PID, great tool and you can get temperatures consistent for hours.

Sorry Ed, just trying to do "damage control" now!  I'm afraid the secret is out, judging from the number of new posts I came home to tonight! ???
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Snoopy

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 10:24:06 PM »
Thanks everyone! I have been reading up on the auber, sounds like a good future investment. I did get the maverick with my #1 so I will def be using it for upcoming smokes. I'm fortunate enough to have access to some local butchers with plenty of meat to choose from. Cant wait for some great Q!
Lance from Woodstock OH, #1 owner

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 07:19:06 PM »
Good times ahead, Lance...good times! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas