Author Topic: First Pork Butt  (Read 3060 times)

Chipper

• "He dug his grave one forkfull at a time!"
First Pork Butt
« on: May 29, 2014, 01:11:59 PM »
You reach a point in life when you realize...your cardiologist doesn't know what the hell he's talking about!  Just smoked my first Boston Butt and it was damn near a religious experience.   I've had my #1 for about five months now and have done a mess of ribs, some Salmon and Kingfish.  But I never did a pork shoulder.  I finally broke down and got a Maverick 732 so I follow the smoke.   I started out with a 6.7lb Boston Butt from my local Publix.  Oiled that baby and smothered it with my favorite steak rub.  The yellow mustard  and rib dust I've used in the past just hasn't floated my boat so I'm going back to old reliable.  A little Canola oil on the butt then my rub; white sugar, salt,  garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, paprika, pepper.  Covered it good then wrapped it in plastic wrap for the night.  The next morning it 's into the smoker at 5AM at 225@ with five onces of Cherry.  At 2:30PM, nine and a half hours later, I'm at 205@.  Out it comes, wrapped in foil then placed into a cooler.  Two hours later (stretching it till dinner) we pull it out.  The juices were flowing out it was so moist.  The bark was perfect.  Everything was perfect.  Except for a new, name brand BBQ sauce with Coke Cola in it.  Yuch!

You can't beat a Maverick for keeping track of you temps, plus it's neat to fool with.  I didn't need to inject the butt, it was plenty moist all by itself.   I'm going to skip the yellow mustard slather for awhile and oil my meat.  If you haven't done a Boston Butt before you are missing out on the best BBQ experience you could have.  With my #1 it couldn't get any easier.  Thanks again for the great forum.  Chipper
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 07:38:47 PM by DivotMaker »

mnsmoker

Re: First Pork Butt
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 02:14:37 PM »
Had my #2 for about 4 months I thought my first pork butts were amazing and so easy, with the addition of the auber it's even better,everything you did sounds about right,going to do 2 butts this weekend...happy smokin!!!!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 07:39:02 PM by DivotMaker »
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 07:38:27 PM »
Way to go, Chipper!  I've never had a "dry" pork butt for pulled pork in these smokers - EVER!  But, you should try brining one sometime...takes moistness and flavor to a whole new level, in my opinion!  Once I tried it, I was hooked.  You wouldn't think it could get any better, but it can!  Crazy, but true. 

Oil for a binder is perfectly fine, for sure!  I've used both, but just kind of prefer the yellow mustard for a good thick, chewy bark.  I use olive oil on beef and poultry, though.  Mustard is for pork. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 09:19:27 PM »
Pulled turkey... I mean don't stop loving butts... You should really try pulled turky in one of your smokers... Wow oh so easy.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 10:10:36 PM »
I have to try that, Steve!  I love sliced turkey so much, though, I may have a hard time pulling it! ???
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 10:36:32 PM »
Make two!!!
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 10:50:49 PM »
Make two!  Hehe...Sometimes the simplest solutions are the right ones! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas