Author Topic: Heating element  (Read 4857 times)

djblock

Heating element
« on: May 17, 2014, 04:12:52 PM »
I have had my #1 for about 2 years now and love it, but just recently I purchased a Auber PID smoker controller and I noticed it takes my smoker about 2 to 2 1/2 hours to reach 225 degrees.  I never paid attention to the temperature of the smoker before, I would just set it and wait until the internal temperature of the meat was done.  I was just wondering if anyone else has a #1 smoker and has the same problem. Is it time to get a new heating element?   Thank You djblock

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Heating element
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 04:46:05 PM »
Hey DJ,

Is that slow climb to 225 when you're using the PID?  If so, are you sure you have the smoker dial all the way up?  If you're all the way to 250, and it's taking that long, you might want to call Steve.  Sounds like you may need a new element.  When using the Auber, you must set the temp to 250, or the on board controller and Auber will be competing for control.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

djblock

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 11:29:58 PM »
Hey DJ,

Is that slow climb to 225 when you're using the PID?  If so, are you sure you have the smoker dial all the way up?  If you're all the way to 250, and it's taking that long, you might want to call Steve.  Sounds like you may need a new element.  When using the Auber, you must set the temp to 250, or the on board controller and Auber will be competing for control.
Today I smoked 2 racks of baby backs.  Set the smoker at 250 and PID at 225.  I had about 12 ounces of apple juice in tin cans, one on each side of the smoke box.  I programed the PID to run for 6hrs.  The highest the temperature got was 218, so I checked it with a another thermometer and it was only one degree off 218.  Because of the low temperature I let the ribs go for about 6 1/2 hrs.  When I took the ribs out they were perfect.   I'm just wondering if a element with more watts is needed for cooking two racks of ribs and also using a water pan.

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 01:18:05 PM »
I have always done 3 racks at a time in my #1, and haven't had trouble getting to temp.  Sounds like your element may be going bad.  I'd recommend calling Steve.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

digger1978

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 02:21:21 PM »
My heating element went out over just a year with 5 smokes on it.  I had the problem of the temperature barely reaching over 205 degrees with dial maxed out.  Steve did replace the element and my temperatures are higher now.  I just hope this does not become a yearly problem as I hate taking the smoker apart and dealing with the insulation.  I have noticed similar competitive products in this size smoker do use a higher wattage heating element. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 07:40:52 PM »
Elements go bad - nature of the beast.  Wattage has nothing to do with an element's lifespan.  I've had my #1 for a year, averaging 1-2 smokes per week, and have had zero issues getting up to temp.  Unfortunately, elements are mechanical things made by humans (or machines), so there is no guarantee of 100% reliability, no matter who the manufacturer is.  What IS important is how the company stood by the product and took care of you.  Unlike some of the "big box" brands, at least you can just replace the element.  I know for a fact it's an itchy job, and not one you would want to do often!
Tony from NW Arkansas

djblock

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 09:03:51 PM »
I'm waiting to hear back from Steve, I'm sure he is going to take care of me .  DivotMaker do you think the #1 would benefit from a higher wattage element though?

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 09:27:31 PM »
DJ - the #1s are actually shipping with a 400 watt element now.  I tested one in my model 1 a couple of months ago, and it is definitely nice.  A little "more power" (as Tim the Tool Man Taylor used to say) never hurts!  Arr, Arr, Arr!

Steve said to send the request again, and he'll ship you a new element tomorrow.  Send him a text to 260-417-9951.
Tony from NW Arkansas

djblock

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 01:52:06 PM »
Received my new element today.  Installed it with no problem and also decided to bypass the controller since I had it opened up.  Decided to do a test run with a water pan in it and it got up to 225 in about 35 minutes and the PID held it there. Very happy to be back in business.  Can't wait to smoke something, but I will have to wait because my family and I are busy right now with graduation parties.  I also want to thank Tony and Steve for your help. :) 

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 04:02:06 PM »
You're welcome!  That's how we roll around here! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas