Author Topic: First Smoke  (Read 4685 times)

Chipper

• "He dug his grave one forkfull at a time!"
First Smoke
« on: February 19, 2014, 02:28:39 PM »
Got my #1 smoker and definitely made the right choice.  There's just three of us and the #1 is the perfect size.  I was almost ready to buy a Bradley but didn't like the construction or all the moving gizmos.  My first ribs turned out great thanks to the valuable advice I got on the forum.   Steve, thanks for a great product, it's built like a tank.   Thank you forum.   

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: First Smoke
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 04:15:05 PM »
Congrats, Chipper!  Glad you're part of the family!  Chime in whenever you can, and remember...we LOVE pictures! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 10:57:16 PM »
Congrats Sir! I know that you will love that smoker and will have tons of great smokes. Make sure that you post up some pics of your adventures.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

firedriver

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »
Hi Chipper...I too am a newbie who just found out about this product today, and I gotta say, I am very impressed with what I have seen and can't wait to order my #3 ! I registered for this forum and don't know how to initiate a post- It asks for who I am sending to, and I am lost ! lol... Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. Enjoy your smoker!
Ray

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 07:27:25 PM »
Reading yours now firedriver.  Looks like you hit all the right buttons for the forum; and you hit the big button:  Smokin-it!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 07:59:49 PM »
Hi Firedriver!  Just click on the "Home" button (upper left) to show the page you started on, then scroll down to the topic you want (like "Introductions").  Once you click on the title, you see a button called "New Topic" in the upper right.  If you got to a screen that's asking for a recipient, you're probably in the Private Message (PM) dialogue.  Let us know if you're still lost - we'll help find you! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

firedriver

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 03:48:50 PM »
Thanks guys! I appreciate your help !
Ray

JSRothstein

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 04:45:01 PM »
I'm a new #1 owner and just finished my first effort, with cut up chicken.  I seasoned the smoker this morning, then let it cool, cleaned it and changed the foil.  Added brined and rubbed chicken parts that were cold, two modest pieces of apple wood, and set the temp to 235.  One recipe I found said the chicken would take 4 hrs plus, another said 2-2-1/2.  I checked for the first time at 90 minutes and the internal temp of the breasts, in the thickest part, was about 180, so I shut things down and pulled everything out.  It looks and smells beautiful, but is likely overcooked.  Thoughts on where I went wrong?

Many thanks.

Jeff

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 06:13:19 PM »
Hi Jeff, and welcome!

It's hard to follow a recipe based on time alone.  I go by internal temp of the meat for everything except ribs (can't get a good read due to the bones).  Next time, place your temp probe in a breast and pull them at 165.  Don't worry about time, just temp. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

bigbassnutt

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 06:47:46 PM »
Hi Jeff, the last chicken breast I did took 2 1/2 hours @ 250 degrees to get to 165 internal temp. I had my auber probe in one and the maverick probe in another one.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 07:55:33 AM »
Hi Jeff...definitely get a temp probe (eg, maverick) and watch the IT of the chicken breasts.   I think my chicken breast reach 165IT in about 2 hours, but the time could vary based on the thickness of the breasts.   I also set the smoker to 225.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2