Author Topic: First Smoke New Owner of Model one, Cooking a Brisket for the first time  (Read 13593 times)

cjr71244

• New to Smoking, model 1 owner
Thanks everyone for your input so far... ;D

Ok so I'm doing a 5.91 Lb Brisket today, using the 4 rivers rub. This morning I injected it with DivotMaker's marinade and left it to sit in the fridge all day since about 10 AM

It's now 7 pm. I drained the liquid off from the bag the brisket was in and then rubbed it down generously with the 4 Rivers rub and I put it directly in the smoker Fat side up at 175 degrees with 2 smaller pieces of hickory wood.

I got one of those smaller long breadpans and poured a half a large can of Fosters special ale almost to the top of the pan and set that just to the side of the wood housing in the bottom of the smoker.

My goal here is an 18 hour smoke. I need it to be ready by about 3 pm Saturday when my guests will arrive. I talked to John Rivers in person about my first brisket attempt and he said make sure you do it for 18 hours that's the trick.

I'm going to leave it overnight in the smoker at 175 degrees then about 1 pm take it out and wrap it in foil and let it rest in a cooler with a towel on top. I have my remote thermometer in it which I will keep an eye on. My goal is low and slow with a nice thick crusty bark.

Did I miss anything? Suggested temperature adjustments? Do I need to baste it with anything?

cjr71244

This is his rub recipe from his cookbook, don't know if it's the same as the one he sells in the bottle which I'm using. The one from the bottle seems to have a lot more salt but it's hard to tell.

John Rivers Brisket Rub
2 Tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon sugar

Walt

I cook brisket @ 225 deg.  Every 6lb flat I've done has taken 8 to 8 1/2 hours to reach 200 deg.  Juicy & tender.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
I'm certainly not trying to disparage John Rivers, as you think highly of him and his brisket.  But, unless John smokes briskets in a Smokin-It, and only does 6 lb flats (I suspect not), I wouldn't put much stock into the "18 hour" comment.  If you smoke a 6 lb flat for 18 hours, you will probably be able to re-sole your shoes with it.  Rely on internal temp, not time!

Also, smoking at 175 is fraught with danger.  The meat will sit at an unsafe temp far more than it should, and you're likely to run the risk of food-borne bacteria.  175 is not a safe temp to smoke at, in my opinion. 

My 2ยข?  Follow some of the proven methods on this site, and smoke by internal temp at a reasonable smoking temp (225).  Don't need anyone getting sick because John Rivers said to smoke at 175! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

cjr71244

thanks guys, I get what you are saying, he probably is cooking a larger brisket, but that won't fit into my Model #1.

now I'm at a loss as what to do, last time I smoked the brisket the fat remained firm and I wanted it more melted, was hoping a longer and lower smoke would help. I could bump the temp up to 190 tonight and take it out in the morning maybe 7 AM that would be a 11-12 hour smoke. Thoughts?

Of course my remote thermometer just started acting up. it's an Ivation and it it started reading 235 suddenly I double checked the temp with another thermometer and that read 150 in the brisket.

cjr71244

changed the probe and now the thermometer is working. The brisket is sitting at 160 degrees right now. I've got the probe buried deep into the center from the front flat part of the brisket. I guess I'll set the alarm to go off when it reaches 200 degrees and pull it out a little after that, wrap it in foil and let it rest in the cooler with the towels on top.

DivotMaker

CJ - I'd go to 225 and get it done tonight.  If it's sitting at 160, it won't take all night to finish.  Btw, pulling brisket for wrap at 195 is not bad.  It will finish to 200 while wrapped/resting.  If you pull at 200, it will continue cooking to about 210 in the foil.  If this is for a meal tomorrow, put it in the fridge and reheat it in the smoker tomorrow.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

cjr71244

Thanks, I bumped up the temp

cjr71244

So it reached 200 degress about 3:30 this morning that's an 8 hour smoke. I took it out and wrapped it in foil and then put it in a cooler with towels.

Is it ok to leave it in the cooler all day, I need to serve it about 3 pm or should I put it in the fridge and then reheat it in the smoker later this afternoon. When I reheat it should I leave it wrapped and what temp should I reheat it at?

Thanks for all your help guys, sorry I have so many questions.

DivotMaker

I wouldn't recommend leaving it in the cooler all day.  Put it in the fridge to keep bad stuff from growing on it.  I'd say put it back in the smoker, wrapped in foil, about noon @ 250.  Stick your thermometer probe in through the foil, and take it out when it hits around 180.  Remember, you're just heating it to eat, not to cook more. 

Others may have a different idea, but this is probably the way I'd do it, if I were in your situation.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Walt

I would probably add a splash of Apple juice or water in the foil when reheating.  Otherwise I completely agree with Tony.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

cjr71244

I reheated it in the smoker, added a few splashes of apple cider vinegar. Brisket came out pretty good, fat was softer than last time but I think the fat layer was thicker last time. Meat was somewhat tender, not completely satisfied but it was good.

cjr71244

Also my friend who's more experienced had me cut off the ends of the brisket afterwards and make burnt ends, he seasoned them with a sugary red colored brisket rub he had and put them back in the smoker for about 30 min or more, they came out real good.

DivotMaker

Well, it looks good!  This brisket smoke was a tough one.  Any time you are done 12 hours before you want to eat, there's going to be the problem of what to do with it. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

cjr71244

next time I'll get an 11 pound brisket for 16 hours. not sure if it will fit into the model 1 but I"ll give it a shot