Author Topic: First Smoke New Owner of Model one, Cooking a Brisket for the first time  (Read 13594 times)

cjr71244

• New to Smoking, model 1 owner
 I've been wanting an electric smoker for a couple years now.4 Rivers make an amazing Brisket with a thick bark. I'm trying to replicate that at home.

I went even and got the 4 River brisket rub which I believe is just salt, pepper, granulated garlic, a few herbs, sugar and chili powder. Got my remote thermometer by Ivation. Started my smoke this morning with an 8.2 pound brisket. Last night I rubbed it down with 16 tablespoons of the rub and wrapped in plastic wrap. threw it in with 2 hickory pieces that came with my model 1.

Left it all day at about 200 with a beer can full of busch light at the bottom., getting an little anxious now so I bumped it up to 250. The highest temp I've got so far in the meat is 170. I wrapped it with foil after about 7 hours when it got to 165.

Anything i missed? I didn't inject any liquids in it seems to be a difference of opinion on that and the original recipe by 4 rivers never called for that.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: First Smoke New Owner of Model one, Cooking a Brisket for the first time
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 02:51:09 PM »
Hi CJ - congrats on the new smoker!  You're probably looking at 11-12 hours on that brisket (at 1.5 hrs per pound).  Since you wrapped it, it won't hurt to bump the temp like you did.  You are in the stall, sounds like.  The briskie will probably set there for a couple of hours, at least.  By wrapping, you're using what they call the "Texas crutch."  This will get it through the stall quicker, but you'll sacrifice bark for speed.

When I do brisket, I inject and rub, with an overnight rest in the fridge to foster happiness in the meat, then go the distance unwrapped (to 200 internal temp).  Works like a charm.  The can of liquid is fine, but I prefer disposable aluminum "mini loaf" pans for my liquid.  They have more surface area, and are a larger "heat sink" next to the smoker box.  I think this helps keep the temp swings down.

I'd leave that 4River bad boy wrapped until it hits 200, then pull it and wrap in another layer of foil.  Put it in a cooler, with a big towel on top of it, for at least an hour before slicing.  The resting of a brisket is very important!  Don't just pull it of the smoker and slice it. 

Show us some pics when you can...we love pictures! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

cjr71244

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 08:00:29 AM »
Here are some pics of my brisket I did on New Years eve. It came out a little tough but still was a big hit at the party. The one mistake I made was not trimming the fat, it had a huge layer of fat on it that people just cut around.

The Brisket wasn't as tender as at 4 Rivers and came out more grey than red which is what it is when I get it from them. The Bark was pretty right on with theirs.

cjr71244

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 08:05:30 AM »
Here is an interview with John Rivers where he mentions smoking the meat for 18 hours http://eatdrinkjax.com/10-questions-about/4-rivers-smokehouse.html and a picture of his brisket I borrowed from the interview

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 09:30:11 AM »
The red "smoke ring" on their brisket is due to being smoked over wood or charcoal.  Unfortunately, you'll never achieve a smoke ring in an electric smoker (not enough by-products in the smoke).  That's ok, though...the smoke ring, while visually appealing, is just eye candy.  It makes no difference in the taste.  Some say that adding a piece of lump charcoal to the smoke box during cooks will create a smoke ring.  I tried it a few times, and never saw one.  So eventually, I just got over needing a smoke ring.  It's all about the taste for me.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

cjr71244

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 09:44:36 AM »
I'm more concerned with getting it the right color like if you see the 4 rivers theirs is pinkish in the brisket meat, mine is more grey

cjr71244

going to give the brisket another try this weekend

DivotMaker

Great news, CJ!  Just don't worry about that pink smoke ring, and focus on the taste! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Walt

I use Martins formula for an equilibrium brine which includes instacure #1.  It will give you the color if you want it but I do it for the moisture & flavor.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

Here's what Walt is talking about when he says "equilibrium brine:"

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1504.0

If you brine your brisket, with a little "pink salt" (Instacure #1), you'll get a "faux" smoke ring.  I use a little in my pork loin brine, and it comes out really pretty.  The nitrites makes the pink color.  This naturally occurs with wood or charcoal, or you can add it for the electric smoker.  Bottom line, though, is it's really a "visual" thing - doesn't effect the taste.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 10:29:42 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas

cjr71244

The Equilibrium brine is what I should use as my injection marinade? I have a 5.5 pound brisket so 1.5 ounces salt and 1.7 ounces sugar.

I don't get what the Cure#1 is.

I need to know what to inject in the brisket, buying my injection tools today

cjr71244

found this marinade
1/2 cup beef broth
1/4 cup Worcestershire
2 tblsp crystal hot sauce
2 tblsp brown sugar
1 tblsp salt
1/3 cup Foster's beer

DivotMaker

found this marinade
1/2 cup beef broth
1/4 cup Worcestershire
2 tblsp crystal hot sauce
2 tblsp brown sugar
1 tblsp salt
1/3 cup Foster's beer

That's my brisket injection.  I use that, plus a rub, then wrap/rest in the fridge overnight.  I've actually never brined a brisket, but want to!  The equilibrium brine process is more complex than you stated in your last post, so I'd recommend re-reading the link I posted on it, and even follow the Stella Culinary links in that posting to fully understand it.  It's not a "pre-smoke" injection - what you see here, is.
Tony from NW Arkansas

cjr71244

Thanks Divotmaker. I'm going to skip the brining this time. I"m going to use your brisket injection. Thanks

DivotMaker

Let me know what you think of it CJ!
Tony from NW Arkansas