Author Topic: 1st smoke on the 4d  (Read 4043 times)

Ravrav7

1st smoke on the 4d
« on: March 06, 2017, 07:55:11 PM »
I smoked 2 pork shoulders. I am in love. My only question is how do you know how much would to use? I smoked these guys for 10hrs at 235 with 3 pieces of cherry wood from smokalious. I plan on reading as much as I can before I do a brisket. Also how do you go about smoking 2 different types of meat, let's say a couple chickens and a brisket. Just open the door when the chickens are done?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: 1st smoke on the 4d
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 08:40:26 PM »
Hello Ray -  Those bits look good.  Congratulations! Regarding the amount of wood to use, it is a matter of taste.  One of the reasons many of us use a digital scale is to weigh the wood so that we get pretty consistent results.  Some woods are stronger than others so you start with maybe 3 or 4 ounces and work your way up to a taste you and your family enjoy. If the smokiness is too light you can always does it up with some sauce and increase the wood the next time.  Just take good notes.  As for doing something like a couple of chickens and a brisket, make sure the chickens are below the brisket. You don't want any cross contamination from the chicken (not sure if it is a serious problem but several posters have stated that).  Yes, pull the chickens when they are finished and let the brisket keep on going.  Check the poultry recipes for brines, rubs, smoking whole or spatchcock the fowl (split it down the backbone or remove the back all together and flatten it out, and use the back for stock). Also check the beef recipes for the brisket. Get a good digital thermometer to monitor the internal temp of the chicken while the meat thermometer on the 4D is used for the brisket. Enjoy.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 11:16:42 AM »
I would discourage you from doing chickens with brisket. Brisket is approximately an 8 oz. wood smoke where chicken is roughly a 3 oz. smoke.  The amount of wood for the brisket will likely way over smoke the chicken. The best recommendation for smoking different meats together is to choose meats that take the same amount of time to smoke.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 02:46:53 PM »
Yup!  Got too wordy. Follow SuperDave's advice.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

EFGM

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 03:14:45 PM »
Maybe!, but awfully good advice!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Rockenburger

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 11:43:50 PM »
With the 4D I believe it take a bit longer to come to full heat than the small smokers. I have not tried the smaller ones, but when I read the time that are posted I need to run longer than that. I bought the 4D for making big batches of sausage and love it. Just need to remember It takes a little bit to come to full heat.
Tim, in Tillamook Oregon, SI #4D, weber porpane grill. seafood cooker and a old charcole grill, have used old barrel smokers.      Wife, twin boys, dog, cat and a bunch of rabbits

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 10:13:02 AM »
With the 4D I believe it take a bit longer to come to full heat than the small smokers. I have not tried the smaller ones, but when I read the time that are posted I need to run longer than that. I bought the 4D for making big batches of sausage and love it. Just need to remember It takes a little bit to come to full heat.
With all the variables like meat load and outside ambient temperature, I'd say 1 hour is my average to reach my set temps. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Jsamet

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 12:28:01 PM »
I’ve been having a good deal of trouble getting the 4D up to temp when it is full of meat. Any advice is appreciated. Some have suggested that if there is too much meat edge to edge (I was smoking 6 racks full of wings) that the heat may be blocked from getting to the probe. Makes sense so I will try to load differently.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 09:53:20 PM »
A full load, FULL, of meat is going to absorb the heat and slow the box from reaching your set temp.  Packed tightly, it can actually block some heat from reaching the probe for quite some time.  Leave room for the heated air and the smoke to circulate.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus