Author Topic: Pictures of my first go at bacon! (dry cured with maple syrup and brown sugar)  (Read 9182 times)

Event Horizon

• Smokin-It #3D
So we decided to buy a full belly and try some bacon.  There are so many methods it's hard to figure out what to do (being a beginner), but as so many posts indicate, there are many ways to go about it and a lot of it is personal choice.  I did basically follow Brian's recipe here. http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1797.0

This was a 12 LB belly.  I started by cutting it in 4 and removed the skin.  I put the skin in the freezer and will make some pork rinds some day.

For the cure I used what I can get locally which is a 6.4% sodium nitrite.

I made a simple calculator in excel.  I used the same calculations as with my back bacon.

Each piece got covered with the salt, sugar, and cure and into a freezer bag.

1/4 cup of maple syrup and a 1/4 cup of brown sugar were added to each bag.

They went into the fridge for 8 days receiving a daily rub and flip.  The day before the smoke they came out of the bags, got a good rinse and dry, then back into the fridge on open racks.

Into the 3-D with 3.2 oz of apple.  I chunked some if it to small sizes (pencil thick) and left the rest as a chunk.  I started at 140° for 2 hours and then to 200° until a IT of 150°.  I know it is a light smoke, but that is what I like.

I did panic as I was setting up the smoker because I never gave the water pan a thought.  I did a quick post asking but did not get any feedback in time so I put it in.  I don't think it did anything for or against the finished bacon.  Maybe next time I will leave it out and see if I notice a difference.

It rested in the fridge for a couple days and then got sliced up and packaged.

Almost ate it all before getting a picture of the cooked bacon!  Well as everyone has said I will say it as well.  I will NEVER buy bacon again!  This stuff was delicious.

John from Blenheim.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Great job John! Homemade bacon is one of my favorite foods! You are right about the water. There's no need for it on bacon. You just spent a week pulling the moisture out of the belly, no need to put any back.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Awesome looking bacon! I haven't made any in awhile and it is definitely time. Thanks for the post/reminder that I need to make some more.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

ibbones

I have SOOOO got to try this.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

SmokedGouda

That looks so good!! A little complicated for this rookie, but looking forward to working my way up to BACON!!!!!
Phil from NJ
Beginner.
Model 2. Cold smoke plate. Jerky dryer.
Maverick ET-732

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Looks like your first bacon was a great success! Thanks for all of the nice pictures and thorough description.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Sodaking27

John,
        Great looking bacon. I made it for the first time recently. I need to make another batch soon.
Don from Maryland.
Saving my pennies for a 3D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Fantastic post, and great-looking bacon, John!!  Really nice job!  My local Sam's is now stocking fresh bellies, so I'm going to have to give this a shot soon! 

I know Brian (Pork Belly) says the skin is much easier to remove, after smoking.  Any other bacon experts have an opinion on that?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

drains

I wish pork bellies were readily available here. Bacon and eggs, BLT's, just no end to the deliciousness. Store bought is ok but that is on another whole level.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Tony, I've done it both ways and it is easier after smoke but not unmanageable before. It's preference.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
My Costco has skinless bellies. So, that is what I usually get. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

va_rider

Fantastic post, and great-looking bacon, John!!  Really nice job!  My local Sam's is now stocking fresh bellies, so I'm going to have to give this a shot soon! 

I know Brian (Pork Belly) says the skin is much easier to remove, after smoking.  Any other bacon experts have an opinion on that?
I'm no expert... I've only done 20lbs of pork bellies over a couple smokes... but each time, I've smoked with skin on, and removed after the smoke. The skin comes off amazingly easy after the smoke.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Thanks for the skin help, guys!  I really was asking because I'm new to the bacon thing!  I need to look at the packaged bellies at Sam's closer - they may be skin-off, like the ones at Costco, which would make this question moot. ???
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Thanks for the skin help, guys!  I really was asking because I'm new to the bacon thing!  I need to look at the packaged bellies at Sam's closer - they may be skin-off, like the ones at Costco, which would make this question moot. ???

I feel like when you remove the skin after, you are removing a lot of smoke, plus that kind of more concentrated/pellicle edge, but Brian (Pork Belly) says it still has plenty of smoke and it is not a problem. I think if you can buy it with the skin already off, that would be preferable for bacon, if you feel you would end up discarding the skin anyway. If you remove the skin before smoking, you could make cracklins. Heck, you might be able to make cracklins after smoking (interesting idea). Even though skin-on is less expensive per pound, the skin adds a fairly significant amount to the weight, so price-wise you might come out ahead buying skinless. Now...when I make braised pork belly for David Chang's Momofuku pork belly buns, I prefer skin-on (even though he uses skinless). After braising for a few hours, the skin might be the best part. Soft, gelatinous and flavorful.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 11:42:20 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Keri, if you figure out how to make smoked skin into cracklins, let us know. I haven't figured out that one yet.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN