Author Topic: 3D on covered porch.  (Read 4728 times)

jaka (Ken)

3D on covered porch.
« on: October 06, 2018, 03:49:23 PM »
located my new 3D on my covered front porch. I drilled, bolted down, and epoxied a D ring to the concrete behind the smoker and ran a bicycle cable lock around smoker/cart legs and through the D ring. Won't keep out professional or dedicated thieves but an amateur or opportunist might make enough noise trying to free the smoker/cart that my dog and I can get out there and give them a hand.
Ken Admire
Retired from Navy and also oil/gas industry.
Using #3D Smoker. Started with the 2D and
loved it but gave it to one of my sons when I
bought the larger 3D.

Hank R

Re: 3D on covered porch.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 06:27:55 PM »
Looks good . you should be safe with your smoker forever.
Smokin-It #1
Napoleon Prestige gas BBQ with Cast Iron Charcoal/Smoker Tray
 30 year old Big Chief smoker (unused for the last 25)
 Snow blower lover Toro 1128 HD,
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 03:27:52 PM »
Nice idea. I have something similar with my Weber Genesis, but it is more to keep the wind from blowing it around on my deck then to ward off thieves.

I used pipe strapping around the frame of the grill, ran it between my deck boards and screwed it into the bottom of my deck. I have lost a cover or two in the ND wind, but my grill hasn't moved an inch. ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

tomd8

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 06:26:37 PM »
Ken - Sounds like a good idea.  May be worth putting a cable and lock around the smoker body to prevent the door from being opened and having the internal pieces being stolen out of spite.  Also add a sign under the cover "Not a Fridge - No Beer" for the kids looking for a fast beverage.  I always kept  my Masterbuilt and Little Chief down my cellar for safe keeping but the #3 is a bit clumsy and heavier.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 09:35:25 AM by tomd8 »
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

pappabear

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 11:20:34 PM »
Dang, when do you guys live that you have to bolt and chain down your smokers?
Gary
Acme Pa
USAF Vet
Retired coal miner

tomd8

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 08:57:18 AM »
I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I've seen crime in the city, suburbs and rural areas.  The only difference is at what frequency does it occur.  The 50's "Cleaver Family" is no longer the model...maybe never was.  Locking home and car doors is the norm....even more talking doorbells that snap pics of trespassers saved to the cloud are very popular.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 08:25:10 AM by tomd8 »
Tom from New York

DouglasLon

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 08:34:27 AM »
I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I've seen best sausage stuffers in the city, suburbs and rural areas.  The only difference is at what frequency does it occur.  The 50's "Cleaver Family" is no longer the model...maybe never was.  Locking home and car doors is the norm....even more talking doorbells that snap pics of trespassers saved to the cloud are very popular.

I'd be surprised if someone tried lifting your smoker. I don't think many pro thieves go for smokers. At least I hope it doesn't become a trend. haha
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 05:26:25 AM by DouglasLon »

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 10:02:45 AM »
I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I've seen crime in the city, suburbs and rural areas.  The only difference is at what frequency does it occur.  The 50's "Cleaver Family" is no longer the model...maybe never was.  Locking home and car doors is the norm....even more talking doorbells that snap pics of trespassers saved to the cloud are very popular.

Crime absolutely happens... however there is an industry that is monopolizing on the culture of fear that has become needlessly pervasive.  Amazon has just been called out specifically for propagating the fear in order to sell more Ring doorbells.  I've had neighbors call the cops because someone knocked on their door.  It baffles me... why didn't they just answer the door?

I live in DFW with 7 million of my closest friends and people are afraid of their own shadows.  My front door has a decorative half-circle window in the top of it where you'd have to be quite tall or have a step-stool to look in at all.  The prior owners smeared glue of some kind all over it to make it opaque.  One of the first things I did was clean that off.

My wife and I did a 3-week road-trip last December leaving the house to our son while we were gone.  It turns out he went over to a friend's house for  and left our garage door open for several days.  Not a single thing was disturbed.

I'm not saying I don't typically lock my doors.  Even my shed in my back yard has a lock.  However, I'm far from paranoid about it.  A person could easily come into my fenced back yard and steal my smoker if they really wanted to.  I don't have any particular fear that is going to happen, though.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

tomd8

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 05:39:04 PM »
I hear you Larry.  Sounds like your in a great neighborhood.  In NY I have heard of folks in my area getting car windows smashed for the small pile of change that most folks leave on the center console.  Not too many years ago I had my exhaust system stolen while parked at my train station while at work.  Turns out it was a very common thing that spring and a few prior.  Crooks use a portable sawzall to chop the cat converter(s) because they would sell them for precious metals inside.  $50 for them...$800 to replace.  Imagine my surprise/anger when I got back to the station that night, started my truck and heard open exhaust.  Last year not far away they caught a guy who went into no less than half a dozen homes during the day... stealing any cash or jewelry he could find.  He would test the doorknob to see if it was unlocked and just walk in.

Our smokers would be turned into SS scrap and sold by the pound.  Imagine someone getting $15 for your smoker....yikes.   I also hope that doesn't become a "thing".  Judge for yourself how real crime is.
Tom from New York

ARmike

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 02:49:46 PM »
Live in North Central Arkansas.  You get shot for doing those things.  Hell the neighbor will shoot at someone breaking in across the street or next door. Haven't locked our doors for years.  My wife, bless her heart, will lock the front door at night but leave the sliding glass back door unlocked and neither of us locks when we go to work. 

Crime is on the rise, meth, the scourge of our times. Darn near every court booking involves it.  One deterrent is all the court bookings are televised on a local cable station every week.  Man those guys/gals look sick that their identities are plastered all over the tv. 
Mike from Mountain Home, AR
Love to cook for my wife(empty nest), kids
Live to dive, Dive to live (scuba)
#2, weber kettle, char-broil infrared three burner. Oh, two burner on pontoon(gas)
Woo Pig Soooie

tomd8

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 06:16:30 PM »
I suspect Arkansas and Texas are carry states.  Makes you think twice about trespassing.  NY has tough gun laws. 
Tom from New York