Author Topic: The Stall - How long is too long  (Read 3253 times)

FinRxDoc

The Stall - How long is too long
« on: September 03, 2018, 01:57:42 PM »
When would you think that you have a problem with "the stall"?  The last couple of smokes I have done (brisket and pork butt) both seemed to just die in the stall.  The brisket was around 185-190 for about 6 hours and the pork butt has been 175-185 for about the same amount of time.  After 6 hours I caved and hit the temperature up to about 240-250 and it finally moved.   Is this normal and something I need to just wait through and plan better or am I missing some critical step?
Patrick from St. Louis, MO
Smokin-It #2
Sunstone Sun 42" 5 burner gas built in

kona77

Re: The Stall - How long is too long
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 03:49:49 PM »
 I know there are folks on here with a lot more experience than me but I have found some pretty wide swings in cook times on some of my smokes.. Did a brisket yesterday and it ended up averaging 1.5 hour per pound versus an hour per pound on my last 3-brisket smokes. I was hoping to be done by 10:00am but ended up waiting until 2:30. I have had a couple of butts also take much longer than normal. I know the brisket hit 180 yesterday at around 9:30 so it took another 5 hours to reach my temp goal of 195. I was tempted to raise the temp (225 is my standard on brisket) but just waited to let the 3D do its job.

I know probe placement on the meat can have an impact on smoke times. I did not clean the 3D box probe on one of my earliest smokes and the folks on this forum informed of this oversight. Some other folks may have thoughts/recommendations for you   
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

TX Gent

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 06:59:38 PM »
The stall really does vary from each cook/smoke even with the same meat.

Take three briskets on three different days all within a pound of each other and the stall will vary. Moister/fat content of each brisket will vary due to growth/feed, processing/packaging, time/distance, pre-frozen/fresh and that's not even taking into consideration of ambient temp and humidity.

The stall usually happens around 160 up to 175 and it can sit there for three or four hours depending... If your using the proven temp of 225 it will always "eventually" climbs on up. Time is your friend and a finished IT of 195/205 is the sweet spot with a 2hour+ hold over. On a 12lb BB or brisket 16hrs is normal for my smokes although I wrap in foil when the meat starts the climb out of the stall and then put it back in to finish. The really hidden trick to a moist smoke is the wrap and 2+hours "cool down".

Good luck and keep smoking ...just need to back track and allow 18hrs start to finish has been my experience.
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 10:26:35 PM »
Patrick, Make sure your box temp is reaching the set temp, taking into consideration the high and low swings. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus