Author Topic: Salmon too salty?  (Read 1886 times)

Panchies

Salmon too salty?
« on: August 15, 2021, 11:11:30 AM »
Helloooo, just got one of these bad boys and tried out some smoked salmon.... though i feel mine came out too salty and dry... is it supposed to be this way? Where did I go wrong?
I brine with 1cup kosher salt and 2 cups of brown sugar and a little black pepper
covered it up and left it overnight
rinsed off with water and let it sit for an hour or so the placed it in the smoker for about 2 hours around 170 degrees.

I watched a video for this method and unsure with this process if this was supposed to be the expected result.

Thank You!

Lonzinomaker

Re: Salmon too salty?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 11:41:18 AM »
Do the same ratio. Maybe you didn't rinse long enough. I thoroughly rinse rubbing the fish while rinsing, not just lightly rinse.
I have done a 1 cup salt to 3 cup brown sugar but that didn't have the flavor I wanted.  I also add a TBS of garlic and onion powder to brine mix.
Smoke is done at 160 deg. That's as low as I can go and still get smoke in my #3. I smoke for 2.5 to3 hours and if meat hasn't reached 120, I raise smoker temp to 200.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Panchies

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 06:14:14 PM »
You are right Lonzinomaker, I didnt rinse thoroughly, just let the water hit the fish for a few seconds on each side. I didnt use my hands. I will give that a whirl next time. Def gonna try the garlic and onion powder on the next to... as far as super salty salmon... anything I can do with that?

Thank you!!!

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 10:38:44 PM »
Try using it in a sour cream-mayonaise dip with some fresh chopped dill to taste.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Panchies

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 10:11:55 PM »
Ooooo Ty Ty Ty Ty!!