Author Topic: Turkey smoking question  (Read 1030 times)

Fowlthing

Turkey smoking question
« on: November 24, 2021, 01:36:57 PM »
I did a Turkey last week as a test of my new smokin in digital smoker.  Did a 4 hour salt and sugar brine, then coated with salt and pepper rub.   Cooked at 225 (20lb bird) with cherry for 4 hours.  Then turned up to 250 for an hour , then 300 for approx 45 minutes.  Cooked until internal breast temp was 160.  Let it rest 30 minutes.  It was excellent.   Color was beautiful. But as most people that smoke, can it be better.?
  The times and temp I used was because company was coming and time was running out. 

The brief brine, was because I forgot to do it the day before.

If I put the bird in a convection oven  for 10 minutes or so at 500 degrees to crisp the skin after reaching 155 or so after smoking... do you think it will dry out?   How many of you crisp the skin before or after smoking.   My thought is it might seal the juice in....and give crispy skin that I like.  But most of the people in my  family don't care for the skin.   Thanks for any input.

tostitobandito

• 3DW - Seattle, WA
Re: Turkey smoking question
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 01:50:52 PM »
That's probably fine, just check the temp with a probe to make sure you reach your target temp.  I know many oven roasting recipes call for the temp to be turned up at the end for the same effect.

I don't raise the temp on mine, but I also smear herb butter all over the bird and under the skin (and sometimes baste as well) which I feel like helps get the skin really nice looking even when it's cooking at 250 or whatever.

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 09:04:21 PM »
If you want to try and get a better skin, look at www.seriouseats.com and read up on the salt and baking powder dry brine method.

I have not done turkey this way, only chicken. But it turned out well. I do prefer to smoke poultry on my Weber Kettle at a higher temp these days and then finish on the coal side of the 2 zone cook, but just something for you to be able to read up on a bit.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

es1025

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 07:20:08 AM »
I would change the plan. Start at a minimum of 250, i smoke turkeys at 270 the entire time. I found this is the best temperature to produce a moist and juicy bird. Also, dont put more than 2oz of wood. You dont want it too smoky. Good luck.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

tostitobandito

• 3DW - Seattle, WA
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 01:36:45 PM »
I'm mid-cook on mine at the moment, and honestly it was a lovely shade of brown with the skin looking nice only about 2 hours in with just a little butter and some black pepper on the outside.  I did brine it for 24 hours, which I've heard also helps.  I just slathered a bunch more herb butter all over it so we'll see how it ends up.

Oh, fun fact, a 22 pound spatchcock turkey will just barely fit in my 3DW.  Have to sort of squeeze the wings/thighs in and they may touch against the walls.  Although, since they're so flat you could do at least two at once in there if you wanted to.

Fowlthing

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 02:19:30 PM »
Thanks....this smoker is amazing as to how little wood is needed
I will post how it goes. I have been out of town and my wife forgot to thaw the bird out.. so brine will be not as long as I would like.   I like the idea of trying the baking powder  idea. 

Thanks for all the input