Author Topic: Cooking first meal in Big Daddy Smoker  (Read 11888 times)

scotsys

Cooking first meal in Big Daddy Smoker
« on: July 27, 2013, 05:51:14 PM »
Sausage Stuffed, Bacon Wrapped pork loin.
Smoker temp 225 degrees
Internal temp is at 139 degrees.
Target temp is 145.

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Cooking first meal in Big Daddy Smoker
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 06:03:02 PM »
You had me at bacon wrapped ... that's a beauty, Scot.  If you'd like to FedEx me some samples for an unbiased opinion I'll be happy to oblige.   ;)
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 06:26:13 PM »
Now that looks right tasty!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

scotsys

Done Cooking first meal in Big Daddy Smoker
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 06:33:48 PM »
They turned out pretty darn good. Both cooked in 2:25 hours. I didn't expect them to cook so fast.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 10:10:44 PM »
Now THAT'S creative!  Nice job, Scot!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 11:17:21 PM »
Out of curiosity, did you make that sausage yourself or was that store bought?
Joe from Houston, TX

Spresso

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 07:11:41 AM »
Aah, you even got someone to handle your meat too.
I bet that comes in handy....
 ;D
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 08:36:13 AM »
Scot, do I see cheese around the sausage?  What kind is it?

Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

scotsys

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 11:01:03 AM »
What me? Make sausage? Surely you jest. No, I cannot make sausage. I draw the line on meat processing. My wife, knows how to handle her 380 pretty good, and beats the devil out of me at the range all the time. If she caught me making sausage anywhere on the property, I would probably end up being the main ingredients in the casings.

I don't know what that foamy stuff is that looks like cheese. It must have come out of the sausage. I live near New Orleans and that sausage (probably made in New York) is a New Orleans, Andouille style sausage. I don't really know what that means, but we must live in the wrong place to get the real stuff.

I am happy with the Big Daddy, but I am not real happy with my results. Although I followed Jeff's recipe to the letter, I think I am going to have to modify my recipes to make up for the high-efficiency of this 1500 watt heating element.

I am a complete novice, but not totally an idiot... yet. But it took these two, huge pork loins only 3hr:15mn, cooking at 225 to reach 142-145 degrees. I let them rest for about 15 minutes and the juice ran out all over the counter.

I think they cooked too fast. The meat is dry and chewy, although not too chewy to eat. Just too chewy for me. I applied smoke pretty much the whole way through, and I think the bacon kept the smoke from getting to the meat. I could almost tie my shoes with the bacon after it finished cooking. The rub didn't penetrate the meat well, but it was salty enough. I ate it with some Sweet Baby Ray's Original and the sauce saved it. 

The meat was too tough for my taste and it's almost as if it should had been injected and wrapped, but my limited knowledge points me in the direction of excessive smoker temp. I think I should have gone with injection of come clarified butter, maybe some apple juice mixed with rub, and a smoker temp of 200-215
instead.

What do ya'll think?

smokeasaurus

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 12:05:41 PM »
Pork loins are very lean. Please check the pork recipe section for a very special recipe.....

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »
I bet some of the dryness is due to cutting it open to put the sausage in.  You should try some of the pork loin recipes that just involve rub & cook.  I do them all the time with great success.  I use a mustard coating, pork rub, and smoke for about 2 1/2 hours + to I.T. 155.  I then remove, foil wrap for about 30 min while I get my Weber gas grill ready.  A little coat of sauce, and a reverse-sear on the grill for a few minutes each side, and wow!  Slice it thin for samiches.  Turns out very moist and tender. 

Just my 2-cents worth, but I think the recipe you used is a bit of overkill.  Looks awesome, though.
Tony from NW Arkansas

UWFSAE

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 02:27:50 PM »
Smoke is spot on; pork loin has nearly no intramuscular fat.  With pork butt the long smoking times are in large part for the fat to render, which self-bastes the meat.  The bacon and the sausage you're using should definite help.  You may want to try two hours unfoiled, then another hour foiled and keep a very close eye on your internal temperature; I haven't done too many but I remove mine from the smoker at 145 and let it rest for at least half an hour.

Andouille is a great flavor; you may want to stuff it with uncased sausage to let the juices flow a bit more readily.

And let me say this ... there are some truly great butchers in Slidell, Metarie and the other towns near NOLA; if you're having trouble finding a good meat market let me know.
Joe from Houston, TX

Thin Blue

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 08:31:02 AM »
Since pork loin is so lean, would a higher cook temp for a shorter time work better?  :-\
Have: Tejas stick burner roll top and a Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 07:03:52 PM »
I would think that a higher temp would tend to toughen it a bit, but I could be wrong.  The leaner the meat, the slower I want to cook it.  I think 225 is about as high as you would want to go with a loin.  I know mine turn out very tender at that temp.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Spresso

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 09:41:19 PM »
Hmm.  this thread reminds me of things in my earlier years.
During the butchering process home made sausage (flavored with paprika, salt and garlic) was used to stuff a tenderloin, then covered with fatty tissue that used to cover the pigs intestines.  Looked like expanded metal, or over stretched strudel dough.
That was roasted with potatoes, served with boston lettuce with simple white vinegar dressing and apricot compote.   That was always a highlight of a pig slaughter....

The dish was called "Virgin Feast"
Not sure where it got its name but stuffing a tenderloin with Hungarian sausage and covered with membrane......hmm.

Not sure if this helped at all.
The dish was roasted at around 375-400...   ;D
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber