Author Topic: Smokin-It 4 Warning  (Read 19374 times)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Smokin-It 4 Warning
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 10:05:09 PM »
Dave,

Regarding the smoke ring:  Ain't going to happen.  Not even if you add charcoal to the box.  Been there and done that. If it wasn't for the 6 pack of PBR, it would have been a waste of my time.
Don't open the door when the smoke gets rolling. You will be engulfed in smoke.  Lots of it.
I have an electric that hits 300.  Never use it. No need to. 225/235 is the sweet spot.
I have a crock pot that cannot get hot enough to fry an egg. Wasn't designed to.
I have an offset stick burner that can get as hot as you want. Terrific smoke ring. But it drove me nuts trying to keep it below 300, preferably 250.  That and tending to its appetite for fuel every couple of hours convinced me electric was the way to go. Never looked back.

Hope this helps set your mind at ease.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 11:14:19 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 11:10:07 PM »
Well-said, Dave - as usual! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 11:24:49 PM »
One tries.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 11:48:30 PM »
I do not own a Trager but have done several smokes and have grilled on a large Trager. I find that they are decent grill that produce good food but...

It is too hot to cold smoke, and has a substantial hot spot in the center on smokes in the 240-250 range. On the other end you cant get it scalding hot to sear a steak. It will grill a steak but not as fast and hot as I like.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:41:10 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 12:35:50 PM »
Re-visiting this topic in relation to my other thread about how long it takes to get the box up to desired cook temps, I am going to start preheating my smoker before adding my meat.  I'm not seeing a downside to doing it. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 01:02:23 PM »
As mentioned several times earlier in this thread, don't you want your meat in the smoke as long as possible since it can only absorb heat until the internal temp hits 140. Pre-heating will shorten the time in the smoke absorption range (up to 140).

Also, I guess I just don't see the purpose of pre-heating. What is the benefit? There are several downside reasons for pre-heating listed above.

Are you concerned about getting the meat up to 140 within 4 hours? I have never had this be an issue as the rise to 140 is usually pretty quick. But this is really the only possible benefit that I can think of.

It is quite possible that I am missing something though. It has been known to happen. ;)

As always, there are more than just one way of doing things and if this works better for you that's great. I am just trying to understand the benefit or purpose for doing this.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 01:17:15 PM »
I might be missing something too.  I'm not seeing how the meat sitting in a cold, smokeless smoker is of any advantage.  Smoke starting at the minute the cold meat is placed into the smoker seems like it would provide the longest exposure to smoke in my mind. And programming 230 degrees on my Auber and waiting for an hour and a half for it to get there is driving me freaking nuts!!!! LOL! I know, short drive.   ;)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 01:37:57 PM »
While it seems like it is taking a long time to get to 230, it should start smoking well before that.

I usually start getting smoke within 10-15 minutes and I run my smoker at 140 for 45 minutes before cranking up to 235.

So, are you saying that you are not adding your wood until the same time that you add your meat? That seems like too much hassle to me. I just throw everything in the smoker crank it up to 140 for 45 minutes, then up to 235 and walk away until it is done.

In the end, I am not sure how much this all really matters, but I was just trying to understand the method to your madness ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 01:45:07 PM »
This might all change with summer conditions but typical morning ambient box temps start at 40 - 50 degrees.  What I'm planning to do as an adjustment is load the wood, turn on the smoker and wait for the first sign of smoke. The box temp should be 50 - 100 degrees warmer by the time the first sign of smoke appears.  And like you said, that probably takes minutes where starting cold that box temp climb would take 2 - 3 times that long.  ???  I don't know, we'll see.  Another experiment waiting to be played out.

DivotMaker

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 07:41:04 PM »
Dave, summer or winter, I usually start seeing smoke at about the 12-15 minute range in my #2, which is about 70° above ambient temp when I start.  I know the #4 is a lot bigger, but the element is too, and the smoke box is just as close to it as on any other model.  Is it taking longer than 15 minutes to start seeing smoke?  Not that I see a problem with a pre-heat in a big 'ol #4, I (like Gregg) am just trying to understand the benefit. 

You mentioned that smoke hitting the cold meat the minute it hits the smoker.  I understand your thought process on that, but you also have to remember that the meat temp will climb much faster in a hot smoker, too.  It may be a wash, either way.  Yes, your impatience to hit 140° will be shorter, ;) , but I don't think you'll be gaining anything so far as smoke penetration.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Barrel99

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2015, 08:03:29 PM »
Dave, I am using the "progressive smoke" you taught me and I get smoke in 5-10 minutes. Are you doing something else now?
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 08:05:33 PM »
I have no impatience about reaching the 140 and in fact don't really subscribe to the rule anymore than people eating 145 degree pork.  I guess my impatience, if you want to call it that, is waiting an hour and a half to get to my desired cook temp.  I've also been debating on whether another auto tune with something else in the box might program a quicker heat up time. 

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 08:07:14 PM »
Dave, I am using the "progressive smoke" you taught me and I get smoke in 5-10 minutes. Are you doing something else now?
Getting smoke generation quick enough but as stated above, way too long to reach 230 for my liking. 

Barrel99

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 08:08:59 PM »
Yes, that is true. Took me an hour+ today to reach a stable 235 on the#3. I was smoking pork loin and it was done in 2 hours. Glad I get smoke quickly now.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:23:33 PM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2015, 08:22:01 PM »
I have no impatience about reaching the 140 and in fact don't really subscribe to the rule anymore than people eating 145 degree pork.  I guess my impatience, if you want to call it that, is waiting an hour and a half to get to my desired cook temp.  I've also been debating on whether another auto tune with something else in the box might program a quicker heat up time.

Maybe a poor choice of word, Dave - "impatience."  I know what you mean about the time it takes to get to set temp.  But, during that climb, you are getting smoke and "low and slow" cooking happening!  This is where the magic happens in BBQ, I believe.  Plus, the final times for cooking reflect that warmup, so what does it matter?
Tony from NW Arkansas