Author Topic: Garbage Auber Code  (Read 1117 times)

LarryD

• 3DW
Garbage Auber Code
« on: August 14, 2021, 02:43:20 PM »
I would like an actual acknowledgement that this information is making its way to Steve and whomever else has the power to make decisions about the Smokin-It products.

I cannot say emphatically enough that the Auber code is pure garbage.  This is true for both the smart-phone app and the UI through the controller itself.  This code is an embarrassment and a disgrace to the Smokin-It brand.

I have been personally responsible for driving a number of sales of these smokers in the past.  It is so bad that I absolutely will not recommend Smokin-It smokers any longer until this gets acknowledged and addressed. 
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Garbage Auber Code
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 10:56:45 PM »
Have you contacted Steve personally via email and outlined your concerns and recommended fixes?  That might help.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 01:52:51 PM »
These forums are really the soul of Smokin-It and there have been lots of suggestions that the admins here have conversations with Steve.  If the problems with the app aren't making their way back to Steve when posted here then that's another problem that needs to be solved.
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

BHamel

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 08:08:29 PM »
We are working on a new WIFI to remove the issues with connectivity.  Please put a list together of suggestions and email to smokin.it.info@gmail.com.  We always appreciate input from customers and are willing to discuss issues that have been found.

Thanks,
Ben
Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 07:22:22 PM »
LarryD - Seems as if you assistance and knowledge would be welcome.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 09:27:32 PM »
I'm going to write up my suggestions here when I have the time to do it properly.  I'm thoroughly slammed at work right now, so it could be a week.  I won't be sending my thoughts to an email account, but I won't begrudge any of the admins if they decide to lift and send it.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 11:03:18 PM »
Sounds like a plan.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 12:34:03 PM »
If anyone else has recommendations for the auber programming and/or the wi-fi app / functionality, feel free to post in this thread.  Getting lots of input all in one place can be a good thing.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 07:44:40 PM »
Before I got the SI3d, I was assured by cook shack  that my cook shack controller was a PID although it lacked any programming aside from setting a time or an internal temp. Tony stated that it was strictly a digital; not PID. All I know is that like a home oven it was simple set temp and time or temp and temp when using a meat probe. The SI controller is much more versatile, but that versatility comes at a price for those who like things simple. I have the upgrade wifi controller and appreciate the better screen although I do not use the wifi. So no help from me on the wifi issue. As for programming various parameters, I am ignoring those as well.  Strictly a time or temp person.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2021, 01:22:44 PM »
Alright, here's at least a beginning of my complaints about the auber, wi-fi, and app.  I'm pretty sure there is more, but this is a good start.

-----------------------
Auber Probes
-----------------------
  • difficult to use
  • fragile
  • stupid expensive
  • doesn't support enough probes (should be min of 4)
  • Note: I don't even bother with them.  I only have one working probe and much prefer to use a separate meter.
-----------------------
Application
-----------------------
  • Don't waste space on a picture of a smoker and a turkey.
  • "Pit (Probe 1), "Food" probe, and "Probe 3" I could be wrong on this one, but I'd never call this smoker a 'pit' nor the first probe a pit probe.  I'm pretty sure they're both food probes.  Calling it probe 3 is like it's an after-thought.
  • Get rid of the wasted space at the top and there would be room to show most if not all of the program
  • Why can't I store and recall numerous programs?
  • Why does the app let me set the target temperature to 999?  The app should never let someone do something that ridiculous.
  • When adjusting the time it should not try to be smarter than the user.  If I'm adjusting the minutes then leave the hours alone.  I recently had a smoke off by an hour because of this stupidity.  I'm never going to want to go from 00:00 to 23:59, but that is what the app does.
  • I should be able to type in the hours and/or minutes instead of having to swipe through them.
  • Why are the program and alarms in completely separate locations in the app?
  • The alarms are useless... I can't set an alarm that would wake me up and the alarms don't even work unless the phone is on and the app is open in the foreground.
  • Can't do anything with the app unless the smoker is turned on which means it starts the last program.  Have to power cycle the smoker to start a new program.  Ideally there would be start/stop controls within the app.
  • The Plt (graph) of the session only makes use of 1/2 of my screen and has terrible granularity control
  • While I might very rarely have a passing interest in the mlti-step program indicator, Relay Action, and power input (?) get them off of the main screen where they're just wasting space and creating noise.  Use this space to show the entire program and progress through it.
  • When creating a program you have to choose Time or Temp as the step end condition.  Either Time or Food Temp should show up to be set based on which was chosen, not both.
  • There are tons of settings in the app that have absolutely no context or help in setting.  What is "nFilt"?  How and why would someone program P, I, D, T?  I tried auto-tune once, but it was impossible to tell if it was actually working.  Why call PID settings a recipe?  What is 'Back', 'B1', 'C1', 'F1', etc.  I shouldn't have to go find documentation somewhere on this.  I'm holding a computer in my hand that is vastly more powerful than what took man to the moon.  Use it.
-----------------------
Wi-Fi
-----------------------
  • It's crappy that I have to put my phone on the same SSID as the smoker to pair them.
  • Why doesn't this support modern protocols?
  • Why doesn't this support mesh wi-fi?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2021, 04:15:33 PM »
Thanks Larry.  You raise some valid points.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus