Author Topic: 2 of the 3 pork shoulders I've cooked have cooked very fast  (Read 1878 times)

otterboi

2 of the 3 pork shoulders I've cooked have cooked very fast
« on: February 16, 2021, 03:49:04 PM »
For some reason, 2 of the 3 pork shoulders I've cooked have cooked very fast. Most recently was a 10lb pork shoulder that cooked in around 9 & 1/2hrs at 225°F.
Oddly enough, the smallest shoulder I've cooked took the longest. A 6lb took around 12 hours or so at 225°F

I was wondering if this is unusual. If so, what do you suspect the possible cause might be?

Edit: I put in a temp probe at set the smoker to 125°F. When I checked the probe, it read 160°F, but light was off, so I guess it was cycling. Is that too high of a temp? (I will add, there is nothing in the smoke box and nothing on the racks).

Thanks in advance guys :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 04:12:39 PM by otterboi »

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: 2 of the 3 pork shoulders I've cooked have cooked very fast
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 04:15:49 PM »
I have had similar experiences. Don’t know why. Butts were always good.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Norwester

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 06:25:08 PM »
I've had 8-10 pounders that have even been faster than that like 7 hrs. It just depends on the particular hunk of meat I think.

I don't think you're gonna get an accurate reading with an empty smoker. I remember doing the break in with a couple chunks of wood in the box and temps were all over the place.
Jeff from central Oregon

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 07:39:41 PM »
My #2 had temperature swings of +/- 40 degrees...  never mattered and I quit checking it.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Danbow

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 03:22:00 PM »
Strangely enough I did a 9 lber (brined in DVM's brine) for the Superbowl and it went for 16.5hrs at 225 until it hit 190. I was worried that it would be dry and it wasn't. Fell off the bone and ended up being fantastic. Hard to figure but never had one go that long. Usually takes around 13-14hrs at that size. The outside temp may have had something to do with it but if I remember it was only down to around 30deg, so its hard to say what the differences are sometimes. I guess as long as it turns out good that's all that matters.  Danny
Danny from Cowley County Kansas
Open fire tractor wheel griller, Oklahoma Joes stick smoker, Proud Smokin-it 3D wi-fi owner

OldeSmoker

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 10:23:10 PM »
Welcome to the forum Otterboi. You will find lots of knowledge here and good folks that are willing to share it. Enjoy that new smoker!
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger