Author Topic: wood smoke flavor  (Read 1633 times)

Island Smoke

• mark n. padre island
wood smoke flavor
« on: October 27, 2020, 02:07:39 PM »
Is there a deference in flavor when smoking with bark on the wood compared to bark off. I use mostly Post Oak or Hickory.
mark n.padre island, corpus christi tx. si 3 wsd-1200 gph @ 1510 auber, by passed, permanent probe

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: wood smoke flavor
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 09:49:24 PM »
Some say bark adds bitterness, some say it doesn't. I never wooed about it when I used the old offset.  But before I went electric, I read the various forums on smoking to include the forums at CookShack and SmokinTex - Smokin-it did not have a forum -and I went the no bark route that seemed to be most popular.  And I trim what bark there is off of the wood.  Just my preference.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Island Smoke

• mark n. padre island
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 02:35:36 PM »
Thank Old Sarge. I think i will go the no bark route also.
mark n.padre island, corpus christi tx. si 3 wsd-1200 gph @ 1510 auber, by passed, permanent probe

smokeasaurus

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 04:17:35 PM »
I also go no bark.

However I have some Texas Post Oak that I will hack up and they have a little bark but no problems so far
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 09:30:29 PM »
I’ve mostly used non bark, so can’t really help on the difference. I have some stuff I picked up from a BBQ shop, small little chunks that do have some bark, but I don’t know if I would tell a difference with the amount of bark that is on the chunks. But like Old Sarge said, the fire burning stick burners, I think it doesn’t matter.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 07:55:08 PM »
I am going to share with you a trick that was served me well for neatly 50 years. If you are cooking with wood, taste it.  Just chew a piece for a few seconds, you will figure it out quick enough,

This was first learned roasting marshmallows and hot dogs but it applies to smoking. Sounds goofy  but it works.

Don't be scared of some bark it smokes just fine. I have heard from enough people that Green alder bark should be removed when smoking fish, that I trust their opinion on it.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud