Author Topic: new Model #1...need advice  (Read 3758 times)

nak

new Model #1...need advice
« on: July 14, 2020, 12:50:00 PM »
Hi,
I just received my model #1 yesterday. I immediately unboxed it and began the seasoning process. I'm a newbie, so reading a lot on this forum and trying to absorb the info.
The seasoning process began at 2:30 pm and I turned it off at 6:30. I checked on it about an hour later and smoke was coming out of the vent hole...cool! Checked on it again two hours into the seasoning
( 4:30 )...no smoke. After further research, I'm assuming the wood caught fire because the first smoke I saw was white, it only smoked for about an hour, and the box contained ashes.
I attached a few photos. Is this what it should look like? I opened the box at 10:30 pm to see what the wood chunks looked like and I freaked seeing all that brown sticky stuff. I haven't seen any after seasoning photos. I've been researching for two and a half hours on this forum trying to find out if this is what happens after seasoning. No luck.
So I need input from someone. I'm hoping it's okay...the sticky stuff. Do I clean this up? How?
I just checked the box again and the sticky stuff is drying. Will it soften when reheated? I ask this because if I foil the bottom, sounds pretty messy to me.
Look at that photo (4th photo) of the bottom portion of the smoker with a partial view of the wood box. Looks like a drip mark from the top of the box/vent hole? Should I be concerned about this for future smoking?
By the way, the wood chunks were ashes. Just a little bit of charcoal on the backside.

Thanks,
Craig
Craig from Sacramento

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: new Model #1...need advice
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 04:08:43 PM »
Yes, this looks pretty normal to me.   The sticky stuff that you see is likely the machine oil that is used on the inside of the smoker prior to shipping.   The seasoning process is intended, in part, to burn this off.   You should be able to wipe some of this off, but I doubt you will remove all of it.  My smoker, after years of use, has the same coloring on the sides and bottom.   If you are concerned, your could wipe it down and do another seasoning run.

I am not sure if your wood caught fire, but sometimes the wood is reduced to ash on long smokes.   If the wood catches fire, you will experience the "belch" in the first heating cycle -- several puffs of white smoke followed by a blast of smoke.  After the "belch", the smoker will return to a steady light amount of smoke.  Wood catching fire is normally the result of dry wood.  Some folks have tried foiling the wood in "foil boats" or ramping the temp up slowly (ie, start the smoker for the first cycle at about 180* and then ramp it up to the desired temp).  Another solution is to purchase wood chunks with higher moisture content. 

All in all, though, I think you experienced normal results of the seasoning process and you are ready to get some meat in the smoker. 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 04:35:59 PM »
I like it.  Nice patina. Probably smells really good. Enjoy!  And welcome to the forum from SE Arizona.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 05:07:20 PM »
It will only continue to get darker! Almost black after you use it!

Off to a great start!!!!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

nak

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 05:28:46 PM »
swthorpe, old sarge and bareifly,

†hank you so much for your response.

I have a bunch of learning to do. Seems like the more I read, the more accessories I need.

I want to make jerky, so ordered parts to make a jerky dryer. Just ordered a scale to weight the wood. I have some hickory wood chips that's been laying around. Thought I'd soak them, cause they're probably pretty dry. Any suggestions as to how long?

It's been tough because I want to start, but have to wait for the accessories to come in.
How important is a thermometer? How do you measure the inside temp of a chicken or turkey? Do you open the door? If you go thru the vent hole, how do you know where your probing?

Thanks,
Craig
Craig from Sacramento

barelfly

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 06:46:48 PM »
Thermometer is the most important accessory for BBQ, especially with the smokin-it cookers. To steal a phrase from others on here - if you are lookin you ain’t cookin!

So, I Have a Thermoworks Chef Alarm, https://www.thermoworks.com/ChefAlarm  That works great. There are others out there that offer more probe connections that I have interest in (FireBoard) but just don’t need right now. And yes, drop the probe wire down the vent hole and into whatever you are cooking, brisket, pork, chicken, turkey. And then let it go to the desired internal temp. Saves you from opening and losing the heat.

Where to probe is based on what you are cooking, but poultry I usually probe the dark meat, so in the thigh. Brisket I run two probes, sometimes three, one for the flat and one in the point, and the pork butts, just anywhere as long as it’s in the middle.

As for box temp - I don’t worry about watching that. I do have a digital model, so I see what my temp is, but for analogs, the experience smokers on the board say don’t watch it. It’s pointless and can cause more concern than anything. But they can provide that feedback as well.

Hope that helps. I can’t help on the jerky - although I did make my own fan out of a computer fan and piping, but I use that for lower temp smokes on bacon and sausage.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

Norwester

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 07:09:23 PM »
Agree with Jeremy! Thermoworks is one of if not the best brand of thermometers and thermometer accessories (channeling Hank King). :)
I use their Smoke 2 channel (2 probes) setup. Just insert your probe, set the end temp desired and it'll beep when its reached. All of my
smoking is done from the recliner.

A handheld instant read thermometer is valuable too. I have a Thermopen Mk4 and a couple Thermo Pops also. They work equally well with the
Thermopen likely being more durable. I don't think you can go wrong with most anything from Thermoworks.
eta They have a lot of sales!

https://www.thermoworks.com/Pocket-Digital
https://www.thermoworks.com/Meat-Poultry-Fish

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 07:11:18 PM by Norwester »
Jeff from central Oregon

nak

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 08:55:02 PM »
barelfly and Norwester,
Thank you for your info on Thermoworks thermometers.

Is there any difference between the Wifi vs manual. I started researching then decided to thank you guys before time passes. Is there an alert you can carry with you on the manual version?

Thanks,
Craig
Craig from Sacramento

barelfly

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 10:20:00 PM »
The Chef Alarm I have, no, there isn’t a second unit to carry with you. That’s the one thing I do wish I had so I could keep it by the bed for the overnight cooks. But, for everything else, it works great. I use it often, as I have a kettle grill I use a few times a week here lately. But the Smoke, like Jeff has, does have the second unit that connects via Wifi from what I read, but he will have to explain more on that since he is familiar with it.

I also like Jeff’s suggestion of the hand held Thermoworks thermometer - the Classic thermapen is another one I have that I use constantly. It will make you a better cook all around.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

nak

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 01:39:20 AM »
Thanks Jeremy,
I'll definitely order a thermometer. Just have to do more research and decide.

I just ordered a scale. Another down and more to go. Ha!

Thanks,
Craig
Craig from Sacramento

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 09:11:20 AM »
You will definitely want to get a thermometer to measure IT for the meat.  I have the Thermoworks SMOKE unit that has probes for the box and meat.   It's a bit pricey, but good.  Another option is the Maverick ET72 that is less costly.    I also have a Termoworks pen as a second test unit that my wife and I both use on just about all meat that we cook.

If you are itching to get started smoking, you might try some BB ribs that don't require temp checking.  Just rub them down and let them go for 4.5 to 5 hours at 230* or so.

Let us know if you have more questions ... here to help and to get you up and smoking! 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

nak

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 11:28:51 AM »
Thanks Steve,
That Thermoworks Smoke 2 looks like a good one. Their company gets good reviews. I'll research the Fireboard brand today and decide.

Thanks,
Craig
Craig from Sacramento

Norwester

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 02:08:24 PM »
The Smoke works great, I've never had a problem with it. I've taken the receiver across the street and still had a signal but of course that's dependent on your wifi strength. Its plug and play, no setup at all. If you go with a Smoke, don't bother with the separately sold Smoke "Gateway". Its the onlyThermoworksproduct that I've seen get consistently bad reviews. I could go on forever about that POS!  :-X

Also you may have read the header they have about buying from Amazon, Ebay etc. They won't honor the warranty because of all the knockoffs out there.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 02:10:12 PM by Norwester »
Jeff from central Oregon

nak

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 04:33:11 PM »
Jeff,
Thanks for the info on the Smoke Gateway.
And the header about Amazon, eBay, etc.

The Smoke 2 is looking pretty good right now. Do they ever run a sale on it?

Thanks,
Craig
Craig from Sacramento

Norwester

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 10:01:59 PM »
Actually they have more sales than any other company I've seen. I'm not sure how often the Smoke goes on sale though.
IIRC I got mine at 25% off but I think its usually 20%. It takes the Pro Series probes that go on sale for $12-13 a piece. I
think I've got one of each size except for the 12 inch as the different lengths are handy for different cuts of meat. You can
get by with the 6 incher it comes with though. After I started trusting the smoker I quit using the box/air temp probe and
often use two temp probes in say a pork butt or use them in two separate chunks of meat.

Like I said i don't think you can go wrong with most anything from them. Except for that dam Gateway!  ;D
Jeff from central Oregon