Author Topic: #1 and Bella Smoke Generator  (Read 2044 times)

Lonzinomaker

#1 and Bella Smoke Generator
« on: April 16, 2020, 07:37:17 PM »
I just got the Bella Smoke Generator and predrilled door for my #1. Did a trial burn with generator filled about 1/4 full (just above the holes in side). Even with the pump turned down to about a 1/4 turn on, there is A LOT of smoke coming out of the exhaust on smoker.  I'm not use to having this much smoke coming out.  I'm thinking the smoke times are going to change because there is so much more smoke. 
So my question to Bella owners with a #1 especially, do you get a stronger or more intense smoke flavor when using the generator or do the flavor profiles seem the same as using the smoker in original configuration? I don't want to ruin a bunch of cheese from over smoking.

BTW- so far I have a 20-25 deg differential between ambient air and inside smoker. (My MES mailbox mod has a 10-12 deg differential.) Might try to extend Bella away to lengthen the output tube to cool smoke a little more.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: #1 and Bella Smoke Generator
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 04:02:09 PM »
Great question... I'll be interested in what others say.  So often we have people come here complaining and it turns out they used too much wood.  The bella can crank out smoke for 8+ hours which is just a crazy amount of smoke for these units.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 10:21:04 AM »
I am going to be following this thread too. I don't have a Bella yet, so am curious how it works for you guys.

I would maybe start small with some cheap cheese before doing too big of a batch.

You may have to do it more experiment style and pull some after an hour, two hours, three hours, and four (I usually smoke my cheese for 2-4 hours), label the pieces and then test them after a good week or two of resting.

Just my thoughts since I don't have a Bella, but do smoke a fair amount of cheese.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 11:31:40 AM »
Thanks all. I had my MES30 and mailbox process dialed in. 1 row apple pellets lit in tray, heat up the chimney in MES, put cheese in for 3 hours.  Cool in fridge overnight.  Dredge cheese in a saturated salt/brandy bath and then vacuum seal. 
Now it is going to take some trial and more trials (no error, will still be able eat the cheese).
Dave
Spokane, WA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 09:49:30 PM »
Just a hunch but thinking that the small cooking chamber of the #1 would fill with smoke more rapidly than a 2 or a 3 or a 4 and thus be more pronounced/concentrated as it would displace a lesser volume of 'clean' air.  Just a random thought.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 12:49:20 PM »
Did a first cheese smoke. Forgot to get cheese to room temp before starting so got some condensation on cheese even though ambient temp was 45 deg. Used some 100% apple wood pellets and took a couple of flow adjustments to get pellets to stay lit.  I was trying to get as little smoke as possible and still keep pellets lit. Finally got to a happy medium after 45 min.  Kept smoke going for 2 hours longer.  I think I got about 2.25 hours total time of smoke. Minimal change in color, smoke flavor seems as strong as the 3.5 hour smokes I used to get with MES-mailbox mod. 
The smoke from generator seems stronger and more creosote heavy compared to mailbox mod.  It is definitely warmer.  Ambient was 45 deg, smoker box got to 68 deg quickly. Mailbox use to only get 5-8 degree raise.  So I will have to be careful and smoke on cooler days/mornings when it expected to be less than 60 ambient temp outside.
Maybe because I'm using the #1 instead of a bigger box the temps get so high. I think I'm going to try find some tubing so I can get generator off of the door and below the smoker connect back through the door and get smoke cooled down.

BTW- I have a propane torch that I found a Wallyworld for >$15 that fits in the ignition holes on side of generator so it is really easy to light and relight though the holes. The torch has electronic push button ignition but valve is manual to turn on or off.
Dave
Spokane, WA

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 08:53:44 PM »
Did another cheddar and monterey jack cheese smoke today. Smoked for 3 hours with 1.5 cups of apple pellets and about 1/3-1/2 cup of cherry chips (very fine chips). The addition of the chips slowed the combustion down because I had to turn the pump up higher to get smoke flowing.  Did not have any problem with pellets staying lit. Temperature in smoker box was about 15-16 deg above ambient instead of the 20 deg from last smoke. The smoke itself smelled better, not as harsh and bitter. Color didn't start showing until 2.25 hours into smoke
Cheese has better color than last smoke.  Also has a stronger smoke odor than I'm use to with the MES-mailbox. Hopefully it will age into being good.

Next time will try lighting from only one side of Bella instead of both sides to see if I get a better smoke flavor.  Will still use chips as I think that was key to getting a cooler smoke.
Dave
Spokane, WA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 01:43:51 PM »
The aging definitely does help. Right out of the smoker, the bulk of the smoke flavor/taste is on the outside of the cheese. But, the aging process allows the smoke to penetrate into the cheese.

I think this is why reheated pulled pork always tastes so good. The smoke flavor has a change to level out and penetrate throughout the meat.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.