Author Topic: #1 vs #2 smoker  (Read 8290 times)

yiplong

#1 vs #2 smoker
« on: April 25, 2019, 01:32:52 PM »
I live in a townhouse will be using the Smokin-it and a Weber gasser on a balcony.  Needless to say, real estate is tight and I don't wish to get a smoker that's bigger than necessary. 

I cook for 5 people with leftover for my wife and I to take to lunch the next day (so 7 portions in total).  For us this means 3 racks of St. Louis, or 2 small chickens.  I usually cook 1 brisket or 1 butt.  I don't cook and freeze, at least not intentionally.
 Sometimes I smoke potatoes but not veggies. 

Let me know what you think. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 05:25:57 PM by yiplong »

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: #1 vs #2 smoker
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 03:20:14 PM »
Best advice I can give is to mark out the footprint of the smoker(s) you are considering on your deck and decide what fits better.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 06:12:23 PM »
The #1 should totally work for your specified needs.  That said, the #2 isn't THAT much bigger, particularly on depth and width.

Outside Dimensions (Including wheels and controls)
#1:  15" W x 19" D x 25-3/8" H
#2:  17" W x 20-1/2" D x 29-1/4" H
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

pappabear

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 08:22:36 PM »
   I was in the same boat. I live by myself and couldn't decide between the #1 and #2. I went with the #2 because better heating element and it's only a little bigger. Like car insurance..rather have it and not need it. That being said, I still have to cut rib racks in half to smoke. No biggie!
Gary
Acme Pa
USAF Vet
Retired coal miner

yiplong

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 08:56:07 PM »
   I was in the same boat. I live by myself and couldn't decide between the #1 and #2. I went with the #2 because better heating element and it's only a little bigger. Like car insurance..rather have it and not need it. That being said, I still have to cut rib racks in half to smoke. No biggie!

I cut my ribs in half after smoking them whole on my Weber bullet.  That's because I like to sear the finished ribs over hot grill with sauce, and a whole rack would be hard to handle.  I also prefer smoking the point and flat separately.  They are different cuts of meat and I take the point to a higher temp than the flat. 

Whether you are cooking on a #1 or #2, the ribs need to be cut and the the brisket needs to be separated, the only difference seems you can cook more of the same on #2: more racks of ribs, multiple butts, etc.  It's hard to imagine smoking multiple butts or multiple briskets though.  I rarely smoke butts or briskets because even with 5 people it takes a while to finish a whole butt or brisket.  Thawing and reheating these are almost as much trouble as cooking them from scratch.   

BeerPalate

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 10:26:53 PM »
I think your trouble with the #1 will be multiple racks of ribs.  That said, I dont know if that can be solved with a #2. 
Erik in Southern California

EFGM

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 12:16:43 PM »
Visiting my daughter in the high country and smoked 1 rack of spares and 2 racks of BB’s in a smoker equal in size to a#2 using 3 shelves. No rotating. Of course I cut them in halves but that’s no problem.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"