Author Topic: feedback on how to improve brisket  (Read 2162 times)

dcbt

feedback on how to improve brisket
« on: April 24, 2019, 11:31:09 AM »
I smoked brisket for the second time last weekend.  The first time was years ago right when I got the smoker, and it was a disaster, so much so that I've spent the time since then researching, reading this forum, etc, to come up with a gameplan.  I finally executed that gameplan last weekend, and while the flavor was phenomenally legit, there were two things I want to improve.  It wasn't tender as I'd like, and the bark was too flimsy.

Here was my process in a nutshell, if anyone has any suggestions for changes to improve tenderness and bark texture:

I bought a 4lb flat from a butchershop, trimmed but still with a noticeable fat cap.  I didn't do any other trimming.  I brined it for 12 hours in salt/sugar/water concoction, and then rinsed it and let sit in a dry rub for another 12 hours in the fridge.  I used 6oz of hickory and smoked at 225 until the internal temp reached 190, fat cap side up, and I used a water pan.  It only took a little over 4 hours to get to temp (water pan was completely evaporated), and I never experienced the "stall" I was expecting.  I wrapped in foil and placed in a cooler for another two hours, and then took it out of the cooler (but still wrapped in foil) for one more hour before slicing it.

Thanks for any input!  I feel like I'm close to being able to actually serve it to others, ha, but might need some tweaks...

Bryce in DFW, TX
SI #1
Weber Silver Genesis

Lipster

Re: feedback on how to improve brisket
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 06:47:27 PM »
Each brisket is different.  My initial impression is that at 225F, 4 hours is an awfully short time.
Also 190 is usually not high enough. Some are tender at 195, while others have to go to 205.
Don't go by temp alone, but when it gets to 195, take a toothpick and see if it goes in like soft butter, or buttah if you prefer.  If there is any resistance, 'taint done.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 08:29:19 PM »
I totally agree with what Lipster is saying.  In addition to the toothpick test, you can do the jiggle test...  it should jiggle a lot like jello when it's done.  The general wisdom is that if it's tough and dry then it's under-cooked.  If it's dry and falling apart then it's over-cooked.

I'll also add that I would probably put it on top shelf and fat cap down.  The fat cap can serve as a heat shield.  If you really want some fat on top then keep your trimmings and lay them on the top.  I don't know how much water had in your pan, but I've never run out of water before.  There are many who suggest water isn't even needed in these smokers.

Is it safe to assume you're leaving the smoker alone until you hit your target internal temperature?

------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 08:48:04 PM »
i frequently cook more briskets in a day than many folks will cook in several years. I never check temp there is no magic number.

Go by feel. Brisket should yield to your touch, and have a jiggly or squishy consistency.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

dcbt

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 06:28:58 AM »
Is it safe to assume you're leaving the smoker alone until you hit your target internal temperature?

Correct.
Bryce in DFW, TX
SI #1
Weber Silver Genesis

dcbt

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 06:30:10 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll work those in on my next one.
Bryce in DFW, TX
SI #1
Weber Silver Genesis