Author Topic: 1st Chicken Quarters  (Read 1552 times)

will615

1st Chicken Quarters
« on: April 10, 2019, 09:12:58 PM »
My 1st time with chicken quarters. 4 pieces in my #1. This is another last minute idea so I didn’t have time to brine. I did add a water pan to try to compensate. I don’t have a lot of time to spare so I started at 250 deg. 2 oz of cherry.  Regular rib rub. After 1 hour, the IT was 140 so I cut it back to 225 deg. I would like them to hit 165 in 3 hours. I plan to finish the skin on the gas grill. 2 of the qtrs. were noticeably bigger so they went on the top rack with the probe. Well, things are not going as planned! At 1.25 hrs. the alarm on the probe went off to say 165. I checked it with a handheld and found a spot on the biggest piece that was in the 150’s. All other pieces read above 165. At 1.5 hours everything was at least 165. I doubled wrapped it in foil, then a towel, and threw them in a cooler. The skin shriveled up so much that I’m not sure if it’s worth using the gas grill. I will check them when my wife gets home in another hour and go from there. I took them out 2 hours later and they tasted great! This is not an exact science! Don’t worry, be happy!
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!