Author Topic: Venison jerky - 2nd try much better!  (Read 3426 times)

will615

Venison jerky - 2nd try much better!
« on: June 25, 2018, 09:07:37 PM »
I made my second batch of venison jerky, did a few things differently, and had a much better outcome. I started with 6 large venison steaks. This time, I was much pickier about using only the best pieces from each steak. After trimming, I had 4 lbs of meat. The 2nd difference was using an electric meat slicer to get nice uniform thicknesses. Last time, I tried to do it by hand. I used Hi Mtn jerky seasoning and cure/original flavor. They make it really easy to get the right amount. Into the smoker with 1.75 oz of cherry (I used hickory last time). 2 hrs at 145, then placed the James jerky dryer on the exhaust hole and let it run for 5 hrs. The result was excellent! This is a great way to use the venison steaks that otherwise turn into pot roast or shish kabobs.
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Venison jerky - 2nd try much better!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 07:23:32 PM »
it looks pretty good and I am glad your happy with it. This link https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1831.0 is for my venison jerky also made with High Mountain Seasoning. The difference is the amount of heat used. At 145 you are actually cooking the meat while it dries. I list the details in the post but I never went higher than 100. At low temp with the fan running the ntire smoke the jerky dries without cooking. To me it is a better taste and texture. I used to make jerky at 150 but never will again. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

will615

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 05:59:11 PM »
Thanks Brian! I will definitely try it. Is the smoke time the same? I did it for 7 hours.
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 09:52:44 PM »
I smoke it until I take it out, I like smiky jerky.
- Sigmund Freud

ReliableRick

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 10:08:01 AM »
it looks pretty good and I am glad your happy with it. This link https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1831.0 is for my venison jerky also made with High Mountain Seasoning. The difference is the amount of heat used. At 145 you are actually cooking the meat while it dries. I list the details in the post but I never went higher than 100. At low temp with the fan running the ntire smoke the jerky dries without cooking. To me it is a better taste and texture. I used to make jerky at 150 but never will again. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

100% on this. I made two batches. One at 155 degrees and one using Brian's method. The 100 degree version is like store bought jerky. I put it in the smoker at 100, put the fan on and let it go overnight. So much better!
Rick, 4 hours and 14 minutes northeast of Smokin-IT warehouse
Model 2D owner (Newbie)
I love being outdoors, being self reliant, and feeding people.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 02:56:43 PM »
Good to hear Rick, I'm glad you enjoyed it. To me the difference is pretty extreme. All jerky is good, but the low temp stuff is way better.
- Sigmund Freud

lgboro

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 04:23:25 PM »
Will the chips produce any smoke at 100 degrees?  I just finished building my fan system and want to tray a small batch of jerky.
Larry from Eastern NC
Retired 1/2 time camper
SmokinIt #1 Smoker
Numerous grills
Outside Kitchen

ReliableRick

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 07:25:08 PM »
Will the chips produce any smoke at 100 degrees?  I just finished building my fan system and want to tray a small batch of jerky.

You can set the temp higher for the first while until it starts smoking and then drop it down to 100. You can also get one of these babies...

https://www.amazon.com/Carpathen-Stainless-Additional-Billowing-Electric/dp/B06Y3SL196

I got if for cold smoking but it works well for creating smoke at lower temps.
Rick, 4 hours and 14 minutes northeast of Smokin-IT warehouse
Model 2D owner (Newbie)
I love being outdoors, being self reliant, and feeding people.