Author Topic: Water pan?  (Read 9056 times)

Desjeany

Water pan?
« on: March 09, 2013, 09:47:29 PM »
Water pan or no water pan in the smoker?  I see that some people add some water pans in the smoker while smoking.  I've only had smokers that use a water pan to keep the food moist.  Is it a matter of preference, or does the liquid really make a difference in the meat?  Any advice?  Thanks all.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Water pan?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 09:56:51 PM »
The Smokin-it, like other high quality electric smokers, is pretty much air tight (90% or better?) save for the typical smoke vent and opposing grease hole so it retains a certain amount of moisture that the meat gives up during smoking.  The additional moisture may affect the bark.  You can use one since Steve offers a liquid pan on his site. And there are a couple of youtube videos showing folks using small aluminum trays on either side of the element to keep things moist and smokey.  Maybe even add beer or cider rather than plain water.  So give it a shot and see how you like it.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Desjeany

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 06:07:47 AM »
Yea I noticed they sold that water pan as well as the videos where little pans were placed into the unit.  I have used various liquids in my other smokers (water, juice, beer, ect).  I guess I'll try it both ways and see what I like best.  Thanks

BryceLindsay

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 11:19:25 AM »
My water pan cost me .75 cents at a vending machine. After I finished the soda, I cut the can in half with a pair of scissors, and it works great.

kujobie

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 09:07:08 PM »
I did my first smoke with my model 2 yesterday and I used an aluminum loaf pan next to the heating element with apple cider in it.  I don't know how much of a difference it makes but my ribs came out great.  It can't hurt.  I like my ribs on the tender side so I smoke them long, 5-6 hours, and always worry about them drying out.  I used to mop or spray them once an hour with my charcoal smoker but didn't at all with this one.

raundog

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 09:35:22 AM »
An empty tomato paste can works great because they are skinny and fit on the bottom of unit next to smokebox

zapdafish

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 10:17:20 AM »

watch his second video, he uses folded up foil to hold some water  :-*