Author Topic: Getting Ready to buy a Food Sealer need advice please.  (Read 11297 times)

Papa Rick

Getting Ready to buy a Food Sealer need advice please.
« on: February 27, 2016, 11:45:04 AM »
I have never ever had a food sealer, but getting ready to buy one.  I read about the Vac Master Pro 140 went to the site but they do not sell them anymore.  Checked out Amazon and found this one:  http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-VS-02-Vacuum-Sealer-Silver/dp/B00IUAK39A/ref=pd_sbs_79_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41GAQVesqCL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0MPD77VRT9V6FSMHE5XX

I know nothing about them, so I am looking for much advice and suggestions on what type to buy and what type and kind of bags as well.

All advice and or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Richard from NE Alabama  # 2 smoker

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Getting Ready to buy a Food Sealer need advice please.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 12:20:11 PM »
I bought a Foodsaver from Cabella's many years ago and it has never failed me. A good unit.  This is the model but is no longer available. I have Nesco roasters and they are great but don't know about their vacuum sealing machines. The second link will be of great use in your research. 

http://www.amazon.com/Tilia-FoodSaver-Professional-Vacuum-Sealing/dp/B00004Y2RM

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?action=search2
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Limey

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 12:44:15 PM »
I have two Vac Master machines(a 140 and a 350) and am very pleased with both of them.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 06:08:02 PM »
I have a Foodsaver V3250. Had rarely used it in the last year, but have put it through its paces in the last month. For the price, I have been very satisfied with it.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 08:17:11 PM »
I bought a Foodsaver from Cabella's many years ago and it has never failed me. A good unit.  This is the model but is no longer available. I have Nesco roasters and they are great but don't know about their vacuum sealing machines. The second link will be of great use in your research. 

http://www.amazon.com/Tilia-FoodSaver-Professional-Vacuum-Sealing/dp/B00004Y2RM

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?action=search2

Can you check that second link, Dave?  Nothing there...
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 08:46:51 PM »
If I were to buy another one, I think I would go with a VacMaster 350 Pro.
https://shop.vacuumsealersunlimited.com/VacMaster-Pro-350-876350.htm

This looks like a pretty good deal as compared to $297 on Amazon.

I have bought bags from this site and am very happy with them.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 10:30:01 PM »
Tony - just tried the link and nothing.  BUT, putting in vacuum sealers in the search box brings up 16 various posts, and it has the same heading as the link I copied.  Not sure why or how.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 09:16:32 PM »
I was one of the lucky ones who got the VacMaster Pro 140 for the super low price of $70, because they were discontinuing the model and selling off inventory. For that price, I am overjoyed with it's performance. It appears the specs for the Model 110 are not as robust as the 140. The 350 might be more than you need, or want to spend. Weston is another brand that comes up a lot, and I also considered.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

pax238

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 09:32:24 PM »
I just ordered a Weston Realtree Sportsman's Advantage (a custom-branded version of the Professional Advantage) for $149.99 from http://www.thehuntersbutchershop.com/Weston-Realtree-Vacuum-Sealer-p/65-0501-rt.htm.
Barry from CT
A little bit less of a complete newbie with a #1

Eds smoking

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 02:31:44 PM »
Reading this subject I had no need to buy a new vac sealer. Then my Cabellas 15 in sealer took a dump! Only 3 years old and no parts in stock.Last night I ordered a Vac Master Pro 350. I can't wait for it to come.We got a deal on chicken breast skinless/boneless for .99 cents a lb. for a 40 lb box. Had to borrow sons sealer to do chicken. I got 20 lbs of salmon in process for lox now and when the new sealer comes its sealing time.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 08:24:08 PM »
Reading this subject I had no need to buy a new vac sealer. Then my Cabellas 15 in sealer took a dump! Only 3 years old and no parts in stock.Last night I ordered a Vac Master Pro 350. I can't wait for it to come.We got a deal on chicken breast skinless/boneless for .99 cents a lb. for a 40 lb box. Had to borrow sons sealer to do chicken. I got 20 lbs of salmon in process for lox now and when the new sealer comes its sealing time.

I am very interested to hear your thoughts after getting your 350. As I said earlier in this thread, this would be my choice if/when my 10 year old Food Saver dies.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

oldrndrt

• oldrndirt
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 08:46:05 PM »
For what it's worth, today I purchased a Food Saver model V4925 from Sam's Club.  It was marked at $149.99.  When I checked out there was a "instant savings" of $30, or $119.99.
Never had an instant saving before.  I guess it's a coupon on their computer?

This smoking thing adds up.  Next up the James Jerky Dryer and some seafood racks.

John
from Missouri

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 09:14:58 PM »
For what it's worth, today I purchased a Food Saver model V4925 from Sam's Club.  It was marked at $149.99.  When I checked out there was a "instant savings" of $30, or $119.99.
Never had an instant saving before.  I guess it's a coupon on their computer?

This smoking thing adds up.  Next up the James Jerky Dryer and some seafood racks.

Save some money on the seafood racks, and get yourself Q-Matz. Order the number of feet you need and cut to size. Place on your existing racks. Non-stick. Dishwasher safe.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/category_s/46.htm
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

oldrndrt

• oldrndirt
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 09:45:25 PM »
Thanks Kari.  Those look great!
John
from Missouri

Eds smoking

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 12:10:21 PM »
I'll keep you informed about the vm pro350 It;s due here thursday 10 March. We use the vac sealer every day to seal all types of bags (chips,cereal, beans any plastic bags) do not use the vac just seal. We gone thru a vac sealer every year for the last 3 years. Out first food saver lasted 9 years. hope this vm pro350 lasts as long. My son has the cabelas 12 in pro and its been 2 years but my 15 cabelas only lasted 3 years and they do not have replacement parts. I called vac sealers unlimited and they said they have parts for there units from 10 years ago. the 350 cost 238.00 and free shipping.I'll do a lot of sealing this friday ,got 20 lbs salmon LOX that will be ready for sealing. I also ordered the gold back foil bags to make the lox look great for gifts.