Author Topic: Pork stall  (Read 5517 times)

Mason_Dixon

Pork stall
« on: August 24, 2015, 12:16:29 AM »
I have the model 4 and have had great success with it.  One issue I've had is that pork butts have stalled when meat temp hits 160 or so.  I've tried wrapping, water pan, and no wrap or pan, but after 10 hours, Pork is still @ 160 or so.  The last 2 cooks I ran out of time (couldn't wait for 12-14 hours, so just finished it in the oven).

Auber is set at 225 for 1 hour, then set to 250 until meat hits 203.

Wondering if I'm doing something wrong?  I tend to use the upper racks, so the temp probe is by nature close to the meat (relatively).  Perhaps temp not reading correctly?

Thoughts?

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Pork stall
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 09:13:07 AM »
Depending on the size of the butt, 10-12 hours is pretty normal for me.  I usually smoke 8-9# butts at 235F, and they generally need close to 1.5 hours per pound to reach an IT of 198.   The stall usually hits around160-170IT and it will stay in that range for hours.   To ensure that the butt finishes in time for dinner and including rest time of at least 2 hours, I like to allow closer to 2 hours per pound when smoking a butt.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Grampy

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 09:43:06 AM »
Mason, Steve is right. You need to figure anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound for a pork butt.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 10:35:22 PM »
That's one detail you left out, MD, what size were the butts?  I've had a lot of butts go just over 1 hour per pound, but they can go up to 2, depending on the cut itself.  You should always plan 1.5-2 hours per pound, as they're easy to wrap/hold if done early.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 11:36:08 AM »
I always allow for 2+ hours per pound. I typically smoke 7.5-8.5 pound butts and I don't know that I have ever had one go less than 1.5 hours per pound.

I always start mine around 11:00pm-12:00am and then rest in the smoker at 140 if it gets done early. Then rest double-foiled in a cooler with towels on top for 2 hours.

I always use 225 and would never dream about pushing any piece of meat through the stall unless I was really in a bind.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 09:36:38 PM »
I always use 225 and would never dream about pushing any piece of meat through the stall unless I was really in a bind.

With brisket, I wouldn't dream of it either.  But, I'm not afraid to bump up to 240 with a pork butt.  They're like the Timex of meat - takes a licking and keeps on ticking!  All that fat really protects them.  If I have tons of time, I just keep it at 225 - 235 and let it ride.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 09:55:29 PM »
I like doing the butts at 235, just MHO.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 03:07:01 AM »

With brisket, I wouldn't dream of it either.  But, I'm not afraid to bump up to 240 with a pork butt.  They're like the Timex of meat - takes a licking and keeps on ticking!  All that fat really protects them.  If I have tons of time, I just keep it at 225 - 235 and let it ride.

I guess when I was thinking of pushing it through the stall I was directing my thoughts toward those that crank it full blast at 250 or pull and finish in the oven, or even use the Texas Crutch. In some cases, time dictates that you have to resort to these methods. But for me, I would have to be in a pretty big pickle to push beyond 235-240. This being said, I have heard of a lot of people with stick burners that use 250 for almost everything and have great results.

Based on my schedule and timing, smoking at a temp higher than 225 would generally get to my internal temp to fast since I usually put my butts in before I go to bed at 11-12 for a following day evening meal. It's not that I have anything against 235-240. If I were to use 235-240, my guess is that I would need to put my butt in in the middle of the night to prevent it getting done too early which I would not want to do.

I use 225 only when smoking one butt (I usually only do one at a time). If I am smoking 2 or more butts or a really big one, I would use 235-240.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 07:29:32 PM »
Gregg, I always use 225 for overnight smokes...I've been fooled by a fast-cooker a time or two! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 07:48:20 PM »
Gregg, I always use 225 for overnight smokes...I've been fooled by a fast-cooker a time or two! :o
Wouldn't an Auber second program setting mitigate any worries about that? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 08:04:38 PM »
Wouldn't an Auber second program setting mitigate any worries about that?

Yes and no, Dave.  I'm talking about a butt getting done mid-morning instead of mid-afternoon, "as planned."  If you have an Auber, you could set the 140 hold for after the meat hits 185, and it will work fine.  If you don't have an Auber, it's all manual.  That's why, Auber or not, I use 225 overnight.
Tony from NW Arkansas